Thread: Are You a Racist?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I disagree
    NO FUCKING WAY

2. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    racism is justified because other people are racist
    It will never work that way, sorry.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Anyone that says "stop acting white/black/Asian/towelhead" is an ignorant racist.
    Didn't you say, when I said I found Emily Dashenel attractive, "Could you be any more black?"

Quote Originally Posted by Shakey View Post
    It will never work that way, sorry.
    *sigh* I never said that.

Please take my statements at face value. I realize that some people are quick to say "but <insert group here> act this way", when called on racism, but that is not the assumption I'm trying to lead you into.

All I said was that poor AND ignorant people are often the most racist. And it is because no one has informed them or they refuse to learn that culture is not tied to genetics. I in no way further postulated that they think this way because of their genetics, nor did I say it was ok to hate them as thus.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 13 Sep 2011 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    Didn't you say, when I said I found Emily Dashenel attractive, "Could you be any more black?"
    Yes.

And I was trying to sass you.

Because you're one of my fav board members. I can stop sassing you if it bothers you so much

6. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Everyone is.

Everyone is a racist. Everyone is a sexist. Everyone is a classist, and an ageist, and whatever the fuck else you can think of. Everyone. Some of us do our best not to be... but deep inside everyone is afraid of what is different.
    This is true. And it doesn't help that everywhere you look, media is shoving those differences down our throats, making us more aware of them than ever, and people are always living up to negative stereotypes.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 13 Sep 2011 at 08:56 PM.

Well, ultimately, Americans hate poor and/or stupid people.

And most negative racial stereotypes are how particular cultures express stupidity and poverty.

But it is incorrect to think that those negative traits are related to genetics. Or that they are innate to a whole group of people. No group is naturally horrible. Except for Fundies.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Type Ryan View Post
    I'm an equal opportunity hater. I still to this day wish there was a more offensive name for white people other than "Cracker", "White Trash", or "Honkey". Although, I did learn where Cracker came from this weekend and it's pretty disturbing (think of the sound a whip makes and who would have most likely used it on a certain ethinc group a couple hundred years ago in this country).
    Popular urban myth. Cracker, like redneck and hillbilly, is a term created by white people to describe poor, rural, unsophisticated white people. It comes from dock workers in Florida who worked cracking oysters. It has fuck all to do with whips.

"Faggot" has nothing to do with burning gays like tinder either.

I grew up using the word cracker all the time, pretty much interchangably with redneck. It's not really even a racial epithet, at least not originally or universally. Same for Honky, too.

There's really not and can't be a good epithet for white people because whiteness itself has never been stigmatized by society in the way other ethnicities have. Any word like that would have no power.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 13 Sep 2011 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I grew up using the word cracker all the time, pretty much interchangably with redneck. It's not really even a racial epithet, at least not originally or universally. Same for Honky, too.
    >>my face when Frog doesn't know that words shift in usage and meaning depending on the region and state.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    >>my face when Frog doesn't know that words shift in usage and meaning depending on the region and state.
    Word usage shifts, etymology doesn't. That's why it's etymology.