Page 1 of 11 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: 3-D movies are already heading for the exit.

1. 3-D movies are already heading for the exit.

http://www.slate.com/id/2303814?gt1=38001

This time last year, there were whispers among film executives and industry-watchers that 3-D cinema had worked its way down a blind alley with its pockets full of cash. That summer, the format seemed like the answer to all of Hollywood's problems: shrinking ticket sales, video piracy, home-theater viewing. The studios had put out a run of record-smashing, premium-priced blockbusters: Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, How to Train Your Dragon, Clash of the Titans, Shrek Forever After, and Toy Story 3—a half-dozen 3-D movies that earned more than $2 billion in domestic sales. Yet by the end of August 2010, the future of cinema was starting to look unsteady on its feet. Box-office returns from the next wave of 3-D films were disappointing. The revival needed reviving.

An analysis published in Slate last August showed that the patient might already have flat-lined. The profitability of 3-D cinema had dropped since the start of the vogue several years earlier, and more recent films were barely breaking even on their 3-D screenings. Now we've got another year's worth of data—12 months' more evidence that the medium is in peril. According to a New York Times business story from June, waning enthusiasm for 3-D has brought the vultures circling, with shares of DreamWorks Animation, the studio managed by Jeffrey "2-D films are going to be a thing of the past" Katzenberg, in free-fall. Shares of RealD, one of the big players in stereo projection technology, have also been in a tailspin, losing 70 percent of their value since May.

Anyone would have realized he was dead, just one look at those staring eyes," says Grace Kelly's character in Dial M For Murder, the Hitchcock thriller that became one of the last mainstream 3-D features to be produced during an earlier cycle of boom and bust. By the time of that film's release in 1954, the first great fad for stereo cinema had perished without much ceremony. By all appearances, its 21st-century descendent has met a similar fate.
    It's a good thing I didn't invest in an expensive 3-D television.

2. I really agree with their points as to the reasons why. Just the mention of 3D showings more often than not creates comments about not wanting to spend the extra money from friends and classmates. There was just too large of an attempt at price exploitation too fast, and it wasn't something most people were begging for in the first place. I really enjoy 3D when it's done on flashy showcase films but I only go to the theater maybe five times a year, if that.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet
    It's a good thing I didn't invest in an expensive 3-D television.
    I'd love one for glasses-free 3D for videogames but there's not enough support there to really care. For movies it's kind of whatever for me.

3. I just wish this thread was merged with the other one.

http://www.the-nextlevel.com/tnl/thr...emakes-and-3-D
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Avatar came out and it was like BOOM, awesome 3D, but then a million movies came out with totally lame 3D and then nobody cared.

Plus 3D TV at home with glasses, lawl.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. Can't die soon enough

I agree that 3d, for the most part in movies, sucks, but Hollywood seems quick to blame the fall of 3D being the reason for the shitty ticket sales lately, and none of the articles I've read have pointed out that compared to last year 2011 sucks the big one on movies, 3D or not.

*edit* Holy run on sentence, Batman! Fuck it, I'm not fixing it.
    Last edited by GohanX; 18 Sep 2011 at 03:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

7. The issue isn't that 3d is shit, the issue is that 90% of all films released in cinemas are shit and incompetently made. Naturally, most 3d movies are gonna look shitty, because most movies look shitty and its just another aspect for the retards in charge to fuck up.

I saw Cave of Forgotten Dreams, a documentary by Werner Herzog about a cave in France that contained the earliest art by man ever found. It was by far the best use of 3d I've ever seen. It brought the artworks to life in such an amazing way. In this instance, a competent film maker used a tool to make his film substantially more effective. Of course, poorly executed remakes of classics that have 3d added in post so they can charge more per ticket is going to look like shit.

Why on earth anyone would complain about an extra tool being available for film makers is beyond me. Just stop watching shit movies.

8. Playing Killzone in 3D alone makes a 3D TV worth it.

9. Post made 3D also sucks for the most part. Unless the film was originally filmed in 3D most of the films stink on ice (Conan, Thor, Clash of the Titans, etc). What made Avatar so good was that the 3D was subtle. It wasn't meant to be IN YO FACE! 3D; it was to enhance the movie experience.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.