Page 60 of 79 FirstFirst ... 465658596061626474 ... LastLast

Thread: The Owl - Feedback

1. Icarus, check your PM.

ps: your idea is very similar to mine. I have done one of those ideas.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I'm currently 12 hrs away, but super busy. I have to come here this summer. It's like not even a question.
    Let me know when you go, and I'll TRY to be there with TNL Maryland.

3. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post

Midori Sour -
    watermelon compressed with midori
    lemonade gel
    basil leaf
    This sounds absolutely splendid, I really dig the whole idea you're going for.

4. Negroni
    gin-grapefruit gel
    fennel campari puree
    white wine sidecar

Bloody Mary
    vodka soaked cherry toms
    worcestershire / hot sauce vinaigrette
    celery puree

Old Fashioned
    root-beer liquor marinated tofu
    lemon squeeze
    raw bourbon fluid gel
    cherry oil

Midori Sour
    midori compressed watermelon
    lemonade gel
    basil leaf

White Russian
    coffee liquor
    cream
    rice krispies

$25
    Boo, Hiss.

5. The Caveman Wing has morphed into: buffalo duck leg confit - then crisped / charred celery root puree / tots / blue cheese creme

In the lab:
    Hot and Cold Pea Soup - cup full of spherified pea puree pearls. Half flavored with ham hock and served hot - half flavored with mint and served cold - all in the same cup.

Caprese Ravioli - fresh pasta each with a different element inside. egg yolk, balsamic reduction, basil pesto, mozz ball, cherry tomato.

Charfruiterie - fruits cured in the style of different meats. Peach pastrami. Country plums. That sort of thing. Serve it with mostardo and honey.

Lamb Leg w/ roasted brussels sprouts / preserved lemon / powdered lamb fat / olive oil / fire

Vegetable spaghetti trio - carrot w/ pesto, zucchini w/ tomato, jicama w/ vinaigrette - served cold.

Trout - oolong tea, smoked roe, lemon, black pepper.
    Boo, Hiss.

6. Sweet corn creme brulee w/ blueberry compote.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Against the advice of a few fellow business owners we posted this to The Owl facebook a bit ago:

Another state has voted to ban same-sex marriage.

When the history books are written, the current politicians and voting majority will be looked upon as cowards. The civil rights era should have taught us a lesson on thinking progressively, yet here we are looking to the past for guidance on how to best keep everything exactly as it is. We sit in air conditioned homes and live comfortable lives while all men remain unequal. In fact, we vote and pass amendments to keep their inequality in check.

We don't hate anyone for voting the way they feel. We don't hate anyone for voting the way their church tells them to. We are simply saddened that we as a people are unable to process the difference between the Law of the Land and our personal beliefs.

The Owl has and always will give our full support to same sex marriage. This does not make us courageous, though some may say otherwise. This does not make us self-righteous, though others may say so. This just makes us a few folks standing up for the rights of their friends.

Like everyone should.

See y'all tomorrow night when we celebrate the life of a man whose art touched all of our lives - and just happened to be gay.

I think it important that business' stand up in the face of bullshit. Even if it means a few customers are lost in the fray.
    Boo, Hiss.

8. I think marriage rights should be scaled back overall, so it's difficult to come out in support of gay marriage rights, though I am a liberal athiest who doesn't vote for Republicans except in exceptional circumstances (we had a real scumball Democrat running for a county office one year - he later went to jail, I think). I haven't thought about it at great length, and I certainly haven't researched it enough to come out with a firm decision, but my gut reaction is that we should provide legal advantages tied to marriage only where there is a child to raise (whether the parents are of the same sex or not). I think it is important to provide a stable home in the formative years, so I support tax breaks and such for partners who are raising children, but marriage seems like an anachronism beyond that. Why fight to expand and codify something so outdated? Is that really "progressive" and individualistic or we still carrying around a security blanket that we should have already outgrown?

If you - male or female, heterosexual or homosexual - leave work in order to raise a child, you should be provided some breaks. However, if your children are grown and you went back to work and are doing fine for yourself making your own money, why should you get a tax break in your working years and and an extra entitlement check in your retirement just because you are/were married?

I bring this up only to remind you that free people have very different reasons for taking very different stands. Maybe some of your potential customers support equal parenting rights and things like affording a gay partner the same considerations as a heterosexual spouse in property matters (next-of-kin, etc.), but oppose extending most marriage rights to anyone, gay or not. If you don't think John and Mary should get a special break, you can't very well claim that Peter and Paul should get that same break.

Anyway, that's for another thread. I just posted that to suggest if you are going to profess support for specific political issues (and these are legal protections being debated, not human rights issues), you will come across as a oversimplifying prig to some people, and it is easy to take something like what you wrote as being haughty and dismissive. Making food simple and changing it around yields tasty results, but ideas are much, more more stubborn.
    Last edited by Nick; 09 May 2012 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar corrections.

9. Totally understand your point.

Round here, it was literally a case of Billy Graham robo-calling folk telling them it's against the bible.
    Boo, Hiss.

10. Simplifying the question a bit and (sorry, icarus) going off topic, if the rule of the land is that straights can have this, why can't gays? If marriage in general needs to be toned down that's fine, but there's no reason it should be an institution for group A but group B gets left out because we don't like 'em.

James