Page 61 of 79 FirstFirst ... 475759606162636575 ... LastLast

Thread: The Owl - Feedback

1. Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    rights should be scaled back
    This is never correct.

Anyway, that's for another thread. I just posted that to suggest if you are going to profess support for specific political issues (and these are legal protections being debated, not human rights issues), you will come across as a oversimplifying prig to some people, and it is easy to take something like what you wrote as being haughty and dismissive. Making food simple and changing it around yields tasty results, but ideas are much, more more stubborn.
    This is absolutely correct. I agree with everything icarus said in that message. Nonetheless, it would turn me off to eating there. Marriage equality rights have nothing to do with a dining experience. Locally sourced alfalfa sprouts and socially conscious all-natural fibers and whatnot? Sure, it's relevant.

But marriage equality? From a restaurant? Now I feel like an agenda is being shoved down my throat, and I've lost my appetite as a potential customer. The fact that I agree wholeheartedly with the underlying message doesn't make it any more palatable.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

2. True story. When I read the tweets from Tom Colicchio on Twitter about social issues/politics. It lowers my respect for the Chef one tweet at a time.

But I have no issue with what Icarus said.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

3. The restaurant is an extension of who I am - not a silent bystander.

If it upsets your appetite that from time to time the voice of the restaurant is in disagreement with you, I believe the problem lies with you. Out of the hundreds of updates I've written exactly 2 have been political.
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    The restaurant is an extension of who I am - not a silent bystander.

If it upsets your appetite that from time to time the voice of the restaurant is in disagreement with you, I believe the problem lies with you. Out of the hundreds of updates I've written exactly 2 have been political.
    Was that to me, cause I have never disagreed with anything you've said on FB.

The problems I've had with Chef Colicchio pertained to his viewing of the Republican Debates and what he said during them.

5. No, it was directed at Andrew.

I'm not strangled by my profession. I may be a chef by current trade, but I have an entire other degree, and happen to know a ludicrous amount about psychology. If I have something to say regarding an issue, I'll speak on it. On occasion I may use my business as a platform for something I believe in. The same way I might write something about beef.
    Boo, Hiss.

6. I loved your last post about Jesus and being a believer. I think I even "liked" that one.

Religion. The end.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    But marriage equality? From a restaurant? Now I feel like an agenda is being shoved down my throat, and I've lost my appetite as a potential customer. The fact that I agree wholeheartedly with the underlying message doesn't make it any more palatable.
    Is this sarcasm? Because one entry on a Facebook page doesn't exactly create an oppressively agenda-oriented environment.

James

9. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Is this sarcasm? Because one entry on a Facebook page doesn't exactly create an oppressively agenda-oriented environment.

James
    Nobody said anything about oppression. Go get your paper bag and take a few deep breaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

10. Right, not oppression. Just an agenda being shoved down your throat. Which apparently is merely rude rather than oppressive.

So we can assume not sarcasm? That a statement made by the owner in a single post on the company's Facebook page is an agenda rather than an opinion? Doesn't an agenda take more than that?

Also, you do know the restaurant is owned by a person who is interested in more than cooking, right? Even if he hadn't posted this, this or any other non-food topic might have come up in conversation while you were there in person. It would have been terrible, you having to leave with a meal half-finished because of chatting with a person about stuff. Damn agendas!

James