Page 59 of 79 FirstFirst ... 455557585960616373 ... LastLast

Thread: The Owl - Feedback

1. That's, like, my whole thing. Serving things that look one way, but are another (also: tiny food). This combines All my favorite things.

It's pretty neat the way the cells compress in the melon. It turns super red and gets really dense.

Problem is, it's really labor intensive. You have to compress the melon 4 times to get full crush, then you have to pick all the seeds out with tweezers and slice it super carefully so that it doesn't fall apart. Doing 60 for amuses tonight took about 90 minutes.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Its totally worth it though.

so glad you're doing well, Icarus.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

3. The staff deserves it. There's only 7 of us and we all work hard. 2 servers, a bartender, the 3 of us in the kitchen, and Justi doing finances and tech stuff for the POS.

If we can be putting this level of food out for under $20 in the little spot we have, with 3 people total involved in cooking, there's no excuse for other places to not be doing better food for reasonable prices. It doesn't even have to be as fancy as our stuff - just more honest.
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Boo, Hiss.

5. Awesome, it's pretty inspiring to see your goals coming to fruition. Are there any negative reviews for your place yet? I'd love to see the complaints. (Because I bet they're all based on someone's personality)

6. Sounds amazing. What a nice review, too.
    [Insert large, loud, flashing signature here]

7. People have down-voted us on urbanspoon (we have a 79%), but no one has left a negative review.

I don't doubt that some people have had a bad time with us. We're by no means for everyone, and it's ok for someone to not "get it," but they haven't voiced specific reasons.
    Boo, Hiss.

It's always a good sign when a review contains the line

Quote Originally Posted by Review
    It’s my new favorite place in town.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

9. I'm crowdsourcing from y'all.

One of the things I'm trying to do is make a cocktail tasting menu. Not a flight - we have that already. I'm talking about cocktails-as-food. I've got a few ideas worked out, but I'm having problems with the progression of the "meal". I want the bites/drinks to follow a standard progressive tasting menu.

I've got these pretty locked down:

Bloody Mary -
    Vodka soaked cherry tomatoes
    Worcestershire / hot sauce vinaigrette
    Celery puree.

White Russian -
    coffee liquor
    cream
    rice krispies
    (served in a little bowl with a spoon)

Midori Sour -
    watermelon compressed with midori
    lemonade gel
    basil leaf

Ideas:

"Pork Belly"
    bourbon gel
    yogurt
    crisp pork skin
    maple

I can put the "pork belly" before the bloody mary, and then I need 1 or 2 "apps".
    Boo, Hiss.

10. I'm currently 12 hrs away, but super busy. I have to come here this summer. It's like not even a question.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt