Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A question for freelance artist and graphic designers

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Working for an employer and being a freelancer are two completely different things. As a freelancer you are your own employer and are a contract worker. Which gives you certain rights and freedoms that say some one who was staff for the same company wouldn't have. Though in the same token being staff offers things a freelancer wouldn't get. You're looking at it as Fender paying you for a guitar amp. Look at it as joe schmo buying a guitar amp from Fender. Fender doesn't give me the blueprints and schematics for the amp a long with it. You're not Fender in this situation, you're Joe Schmo.
    it is the same for a freelance engineer. They'd still own it all.

It is that way for practical reasons. If they are paying me to give them a design that they can put into production, they are going to need all of that information. Simply mailing them a finished amplifier or schismatic is not enough to go into production.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Fender doesn't give me the blueprints and schematics for the amp a long with it. You're not Fender in this situation, you're Joe Schmo.
    sure they do. You can go to many amp companies and pull the manual and schematic. Which used to be common for everything. It is only when things started to become digital and "disposable consumer electronics" that companies have shied away from this.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 20 Sep 2011 at 06:59 PM.

Thanks guys. You've given me a lot to think about and research.

Its a shame that things have gone this way. You'd think the guy would have cut me a little slack being a friend and knowing what my budget is. Live and learn.

3. Its a shame that things have gone this way.
    What did they do? If it was a financial issue then they wouldn't have ignored your request, they would have given you an updated price.

4. Yeah, man. Just ask him again. Maybe he just forgot or didn't know what you wanted to do.
    Donk

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    schismatic
    A schismatic is a person who creates or incites schism in an organization or who is a member of a splinter group.

6. if it wasn't in the contract to begin with, then you aren't "paying" him for all those files. Just whatever the finished product (print, filetype, etc) is.

Why would the freelancer not give you all the files? The principle of the matter, if it's not in the contract. Or if it's not in the contract, they may "hold" those files hoping you'll agree to pay more for them. Or, it could be that they want to be your go-to guy if, in the future, you want to do other things regarding this project (like isolating a logo, making new posters with logo/art).

There are PLENTY of reasons a freelancer would refuse to give up every file that wasn't agreed to in a contract and paid for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    You'd think the guy would have cut me a little slack being a friend and knowing what my budget is. Live and learn.
    That's bullshit though - I can't count the number of times people want me to do work for free, or under my rate because they're a friend/family member/knows someone close to me. Like seriously - IT'S HIS LIVELIHOOD.

I could ask you the reverse - what kind of fucking friend would ask, pressure, or demand the other to do something that can end up costing him work (meaning a living!) later down the road? That's Grade A shit right there.

You're starting to sound like too many clients I've dealt with in the past and its making my blood boil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

8. Dude, I'm your father's cousin's uncle's nephew's former roommate, you can totally do this under your rate right? We're practically family!
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. Wow this thread. Let's talk about something else. I'll make a space giraffe alpaca picture tonight because it's just pulling me down even knowing this is here while a perfectly good drawing thread is being held down because of it.
    Donk

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I would just strip out a lot of the info first ("flatten" shit as much as possible and render blend modes and layer styles).
    This is how I figured out how to emulate my old bosses' work. They'd pass me files and I'd just comb through the layers to see what made it tick.

Imagine if I didn't work for them. I'd know all their secrets.