Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 11131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death of Internet Anonymity

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I don't like the sound of that. Where I want to go at any given time can range from Strapya and Sanrio to the most hideous depths of the internet.
    I'm more worried where it thinks I want to go after 4chan.

Also if it's a feature that's off by default or at least can be turned off that'd at least be something.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Detour View Post
    Hah! I fucking hate the vast majority of our government's policies. Also, Privacy <> Freedom.

I am actually softening my stance on this, as I read more. I agree - a person should be able to choose to be private. But to whine about it and then check your Facebook account for the 8th time today? Go fuck yourself.

I, personally, find a lot more value in being public. YMMV. Now, let's all be friends.
    I disagree about privacy not being freedom. The moment someone says "well if you're not doing anything wrong then you won't mind" you're being treated as a criminal without due cause. Everything else here I agree with though. If you join Facebook and willfully give up your info then who can be to blamed but you?

But that's how privacy will corrode anyway - convenience.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

3. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I don't like tailored marketing.

It's never right and always more offensive for assuming so.
    That's because it's in it's infancy. You just wait until you start liking all of your recommendations. I've made a few purchases on Amazon already because of suggestive selling. I've even checked out concerts in my area due to fb ads (never pulled the trigger though).

As soon as the database can discern you are a pragmatic existentialist with a shadenfreud complex it will start working. I'm just a much less complex target.
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. The book recs Amazon gives me are hilariously bad, and it's not because I've bought few books. But they love to show me some annoying stats books and whatever because I bought two actuarial books in like, 2008.

The game recs are mostly "buy every game" and truthfully they figured me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Detour View Post
    Hey buttcheeks. That girl you mentioned that broke up with you after reading your shit on here - would it have been a better, happier time if she hadn't seen it, and you'd continued seeing her?
    short term, long term?

Short term, I'd been a lot better off. Long term, well, hindsight and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    I disagree about privacy not being freedom. The moment someone says "well if you're not doing anything wrong then you won't mind" you're being treated as a criminal without due cause. Everything else here I agree with though. If you join Facebook and willfully give up your info then who can be to blamed but you?

But that's how privacy will corrode anyway - convenience.
    I don't know if the user-base of facebook would agree with you. The bulk of facebook users don't even know what facebook really is. They think it is a website hosting site tht lets them host a page to share baby pictures with their family, or to share happy fun drinking party pics with friends. Most of them have a childish assumption of privacy that doesn't exist.

7. That's because that's why Facebook is. And most people are aware of the way both Facebook and google make their money. They just don't care because the tools are free, exceptionally made and useful.

facebook is exceptionally made?

9. It is without question. No one else has come close.

You're full of shit.