Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death of Internet Anonymity

topical: my google account got hacked. Sorry if any of you got any spam from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Kids should have no expectation of privacy from their parents.
    Why? What justification do you have for this? When I was in high school I ran with a lot of "bad" kids. I read about a lot of weird shit online. Why is that my parents business? Why can't I, and anyone else that age, be their own person? Should I have been made to talk to my dad, mother, or grandmother about the things I did? Do you want to talk your grandmother about every bad little thing to you did, was near, thought about, or saw? You want to talk to your grandmother about the conversation you had with your friend the other day about gay sex? I don't want to talk to my grandmother about it. I don't want her to even fucking know it happened.

But people like her knowing about these kinds of things is one of the things polarizing this country. The US has always had people like the Tea Baggers. They've only come out of their backwater shitholes because they are not being allowed to ignore all the things that annoy them.

Removing anonymity is going to force people to see how "fucked up" the people around them are and create more friction.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    In addition, they should be taught that it's likely that their future will be affected by what they say online.
    I think everyone knows this about facebook. But I think there is a place for people to have anonymity online. An employer doesn't need to know that his new employee picks up fat hairy guys for gay sex on craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    topical: my google account got hacked. Sorry if any of you got any spam from it.
    is this why I got a phonecall from someone I don't know in Florida?

4. Privacy on the internet will never die, no matter how much Google and Facebook want it to.

It will probably die for people who don't have a good grasp of how the shit they use, works.

That is already happening. There already is a large group of users that can barely use computers, that do everything on their phone, unprotected. These are the same people who tweat all over the place, "log in / clock in / get tagged" on all their social sites when they go anywhere.

They are minors. My daughter will get the benefit of the doubt. If she ever violates that trust, then I would absolutely check up on her online, with her cell phone GPS, etc. And I'll stop as soon as she's 18 or moves out, whichever is last. I hope it never comes to that, because I want to be able to trust her. Keep in mind that parents can be sued for their children's actions in addition to the obvious protection angle.

I support anonymity for adults citizens online, but I don't think people should assume it exists everywhere... or maybe even anywhere.

7. All it takes is one person "tweating" about how their parents can read/track whatever it is they're doing and "here's how to block them" and they'll cover their tracks. This works both ways.

Blocking would be unwise if the kids want to keep their devices.

yeah. Most parents pay for the cell plan. Or the car insurance. Or the car payment. Or shit, the house and the utilities.

It would just create drama. The parent will try to control the kid. The kid will undermined it, and the parent will try to leverage their position against the child to gain control over the child's actions.

Crazy ass parents are already crazy, but sane parents might benefit and be able to help their kids.