Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death of Internet Anonymity

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post

Removing anonymity is going to force people to see how "fucked up" the people around them are and create more friction.
    Good. People online can act like douche bags with no remorse.

People need to be responsible for what they say online. If I say some dumb ass shit online, I wanna be called out on it.
    Last edited by ElCapichan; 26 Sep 2011 at 09:53 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    ...or it could have been a wrong number.

And really, who is going to care in 30 years when everyone has pictures of their dick online?
    Why wait for 30 years? It's not so bad to have it online now.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453

What was this thread about? How come you didn't address my question Fe?
    Last edited by Korian; 27 Sep 2011 at 01:51 AM.

4. I find this thread ironic because the FCC just started working on protecting net neutrality and trying to regulate the internet more, in favor of the consumers. Hopefully they go the full way and protect Net Neutrality, though there are going to be some legal fights no matter which way they go. It's a shame that when the FCC is on the right side of an argument, they're in a weakened position.

It's not much, but the FCC basically said "We won't try to regulate the Internet and ISPs that much!" and now they're realizing ISPs will become complete assholes without any rules or regulations.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1624...ity_rules.html

At least that's the direction I hope it's heading.
    Last edited by Thief Silver; 27 Sep 2011 at 01:59 AM.

5. LOLPRIVACYLOL.

Get the fuck over it already. It's done. It has been for a long time. And we're better off for it.

Topical: I wrote a post on this very topic last week. TLDR version: I post all my shit publicly, new business partner googled me and saw it all, saw I was a normal fucking person just like everyone fucking else, and signed on the dotted line because of it.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

6. Also, people worry about Facebook, Google, Apple et al, but anyone can fucking identify you online. You leave a browsing-habit fingerprint - the same 5 or 6 sites you frequent (normally in the same order), your browser, plugins and OS, the fonts you have installed. I can't find the article, but they can pinpoint an individual via these metrics down to something nutty like 94% accuracy. Edit: Here - turn cookies and shit off and have a look at what the EFF can tell you about your system. And here's the report.

In this sample of privacy-conscious users, 83.6% of the browsers seen had an instantaneously unique fingerprint, and a further 5.3% had an anonymity set of size 2. Among visiting browsers that had either Adobe Flash or a Java Virtual Machine enabled, 94.2% exhibited instantaneously unique fingerprints and a further 4.8% had fingerprints that were seen exactly twice. Only 1.0% of browsers with Flash or Java had anonymity sets larger than two.
    If you're worried about privacy, get the fuck off the Internet. Seriously.

Also, re: employers / schools checking this shit - we already do. Anyone I consider hiring gets a full Facebook, Twitter and whatever else I can find audit. The woman I hired for Accounts Payable in March, for example - she goes out clubbing every weekend and posts photos of herself kissing people and shit. She also drinks and swears a lot. She also types like "lol fuk u stacey u slut". I hired her because SHE'S FUCKING NORMAL and she was qualified. I don't give a fuck what you do outside of work.
    Last edited by Detour; 27 Sep 2011 at 07:24 AM.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

What would you have done had she used to been a man? Or she sticks road cones up her twat on a fetish site?

And I know that you are probably going to tell me you would have hired her anyway, because you don't want to appear bigoted.

Do you think that everyone else will do the same in practice? And do you think it is right for people to avoid hiring people based on their past? Because this is what it is going to come down to. Over qualified Gay Bill Normten isn't going to get a job because old Mr. Whiteron doesn't hire fags.

It is amazing how everyone for this assumes everyone thinks like them. "I've never done anything wrong with this and I've never met anyone that has had something bad happen to them in regards to this, so it must all be awesome, right?" Do you guys know any fucking bigots? Do you know any minorities? It is like you're all from middle of the road whitesville, where no one is oppressed and no one is mean to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Detour View Post
    Anyone I consider hiring gets a full Facebook, Twitter and whatever else I can find audit. ...I don't give a fuck what you do outside of work.
    =/

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    What would you have done had she used to been a man? Or she sticks road cones up her twat on a fetish site?

And I know that you are probably going to tell me you would have hired her anyway, because you don't want to appear bigoted.

Do you think that everyone else will do the same in practice? And do you think it is right for people to avoid hiring people based on their past? Because this is what it is going to come down to. Over qualified Gay Bill Normten isn't going to get a job because old Mr. Whiteron doesn't hire fags.

It is amazing how everyone for this assumes everyone thinks like them. "I've never done anything wrong with this and I've never met anyone that has had something bad happen to them in regards to this, so it must all be awesome, right?" Do you guys know any fucking bigots? Do you know any minorities? It is like you're all from middle of the road whitesville, where no one is oppressed and no one is mean to each other.
    Fe he never said that, Detour isn't a bigot. Why so angry? this isn't the are you racist thread.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Detour View Post
    The woman I hired for Accounts Payable in March, for example - she goes out clubbing every weekend and posts photos of herself kissing people and shit. She also drinks and swears a lot. She also types like "lol fuk u stacey u slut". I hired her because I FUCKING LOVE SLUTS!!!
    I got to get my ass to Australia...
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt