Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standby Flights

1. Standby Flights

Has anyone ever used standby flights to get places? I'm going to assume yes...

Whats the deal with them, I call the airport and see if they have any flights available? Am I looking to pay like halfish price? Am I likely to get a flight in/out within a week (assuming I am willing to spend all my time at the airport?) Really not too knowledgeable about this, but I have nothing but time at the moment. I am looking to go to Europe, so getting there I can take a good deal of time getting a good flight there, coming back I still have some leeway, but perhaps a full week would be pushing it. Any ideas/thoughts on the matter? Thanks.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

2. Are you going for the English chick?
    Boo, Hiss.

3. That's not really the point of the thread now is it?

I'm not sure how you get them, but...

I was put on standby when I was coming back from London. They sold my morning ticket for something like 2000-3000$ and then put me on standby. I was on stand by for like 12-15 hours before getting a standby flight to NY.

But this was at the end of July, which is a peek flying season.

You'll probably have better luck if you do this during the slow season.

to clarify, you'rer going to be last priority if you fly this way.

it goes in people who buy way in advance and online check in > People who buy way advance and check in at the terminal > People they fuck / or sell the ticket of > late people or people who can't make it through customs in time > stand by tickets

6. Yeah, I figured if I risked this I might be looking at a day or two lost at least, coming out. If it looks cheap enough, I could standby one way and book a flight the other. Just wondering the whole lay of the land for this sort of thing.

7. Here's something you can do but it's a dick move: buy a ticket with a layover. They're always cheaper. Just make sure the layover is in the place you want to stay. When you get there just leave. Do not buy a return ticket through the same airline though. They will promptly cancel everything.

Oh, and don't check a bag. Just in case.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Has anyone ever used standby flights to get places? I'm going to assume yes...

Whats the deal with them, I call the airport and see if they have any flights available? Am I looking to pay like halfish price? Am I likely to get a flight in/out within a week (assuming I am willing to spend all my time at the airport?) Really not too knowledgeable about this, but I have nothing but time at the moment. I am looking to go to Europe, so getting there I can take a good deal of time getting a good flight there, coming back I still have some leeway, but perhaps a full week would be pushing it. Any ideas/thoughts on the matter? Thanks.
    Most airlines do not sell "standby" tickets anymore. There may be a few exceptions (I think Airtran may allow college students etc).

9. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    Here's something you can do but it's a dick move: buy a ticket with a layover. They're always cheaper. Just make sure the layover is in the place you want to stay. When you get there just leave. Do not buy a return ticket through the same airline though. They will promptly cancel everything.

Oh, and don't check a bag. Just in case.
    So like, I would go to london then where to make it cheaper. It is a very interesting idea though... I will have to play around with that.

007bond- Yeah I have heard somethings to that effect, but I also have been told you can find them if you look hard enough.

10. Doesn't matter the final destination just the layover. Also, I hope this goes without saying, make sure it's cheaper than a flight directly there.

For reference, when I went to Amsterdam a direct flight to London was more expensive even though it was closer. Layover flights were even cheaper. Do that or start collecting roses.