Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: X68000, MSX, FM Towns, Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    DID SOMEBODY SAY EUROPEAN GAMES!?
    Let's make a thread for European game scan lines and let recap and bVork talk to each other for all eternity.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Anyone calling X68000 ports arcade perfect should probably note that the system (and indeed the monitor) was incapable of running at 60fps, so games ran at 30 or 15 Hz, which is not a huge deal but worth noting.
    I think you have your terminology crossed. All of those old arcade game monitors (and indeed any SD tube TV) scan at 15 kHz. It is why you can hear a very distinct whine at 15 kHz when you walk into the room and a tube TV is running.

So let's bust out the math.

15 kHz = 15,000 cycles / second

Say we need a game to run at 60 frames / second.

15,000 cycles / 60 frames = 250 cycles / frame

So at 60 fps, each individual frame can have 250 dedicated scan cycles... which is why so many of those games had a vertical resolution in the neighborhood of 250 lines.

Anyway, a 15 kHz monitor does not in any way mean the game can't be 60 fps. Almost all monitors were 15 kHz back then.

Oh hell. The blue shadows and strawberry milk are spreading.

Frogacuda semantics argument in 3... 2... 1...

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Frogacuda semantics argument in 3... 2... 1...
    It's only a semantics argument if both people are using the same term in the first place.

I said Hz, not kHz, and I was discussing the screen's refresh rate, not scanning frequency. He's just talking about something totally different because he didn't read closely.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 27 Sep 2011 at 05:16 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Yeah, I was talking about the MSX1 when I said it had the same hardware as Colecovision.
    Some MSX games have been unofficially ported to Colecovision on cart by Opcode Games, such as Sky Jaguar, Road Fighter (the arcade ending not found in the MSX version is put back in), and the Yie Ar Kung-fu titles (YAKF1 is finished, YAKF2 has a TBA release date). Rally-X is also being worked on. There's a 128 KB redo of Donkey Kong which also uses it, giving the NES port some real competition. The only downside is a little flicker and a couple of missing sounds. YAKF2, Rally-X, and DK require the Super Game module.

MSX has a CV emulator called Mission. It hacks the Coleco BIOS, but isn't nearly as successful as running Type X on PC. The author Marcel de Kogel said about 1/3 of the games run properly.
    Mission homepage (hasn't been updated in ages).

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    It's only a semantics argument if both people are using the same term in the first place.

I said Hz, not kHz, and I was discussing the screen's refresh rate, not scanning frequency. He's just talking about something totally different because he didn't read closely.
    Are you sure about that? The monitor for one certainly could do 60 fps. You could use it for JAMMA. It was a multi sync that could do 15 kHz and 30 kHz. Sometimes people forget to write the k when desribing monitor scan speeds. Frequently actually. Maybe the site you read wrote that the video output was 15 Hz and 30 Hz...

I just can't see anything in the tech specs that would prevent 60 fps. Capcom even used it as a dev kit for CPS games.

7. Jesus, that crazy Brazilian is still talking about the Super Game Module?
    I remember years ago when he first started talking about it (It was going to be a CD rom at one point, right?). He posted some Castlevania mock ups that looked sexy as hell, but I was left wondering...why? I can understand dudes wanting to flex their programming muscles and see what they can turn out on a given system with all its limitations, but what's the point of turning a Coleco into something that is not a Coleco?
    You want better specs, build shit for a newer system.

Yeah, that's the same reaction I have when people make games for that 20mhz C64 addon. It's insane and pointless. At least the PPC Amigas were actually useful.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    Are you sure about that? The monitor for one certainly could do 60 fps. You could use it for JAMMA. It was a multi sync that could do 15 kHz and 30 kHz. Sometimes people forget to write the k when desribing monitor scan speeds. Frequently actually. Maybe the site you read wrote that the video output was 15 Hz and 30 Hz...

I just can't see anything in the tech specs that would prevent 60 fps. Capcom even used it as a dev kit for CPS games.
    It might be a graphics hardware limitation rather than a monitor thing, but you'll notice it if you compare the version of a lot of games that were ported to other systems, even less powerful ones.

Of course I'm repeating shit I read someone else on a forum somewhere say that I believed because I observed it in the the games I cared to look for it in, but I could be wrong, I'm not professing real technical expertise or anything.