Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: X68000, MSX, FM Towns, Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    Dragon Spirit, Pac-Mania, Alien Syndrome, and various Capcom games at home- all arcade perfect or damn close. Super Hang-On isn't perfect but definitely blows the Genesis version to hell.
    Yeah, I was talking about the MSX1 when I said it had the same hardware as Colecovision.

Anyone calling X68000 ports arcade perfect should probably note that the system (and indeed the monitor) was incapable of running at 60fps, so games ran at 30 or 15 Hz, which is not a huge deal but worth noting.

2. For real? The games I've tried emulated seem to be capable of it.

3. It's not really a performance issue, it's just the monitor and video hardware run at 30 Hz. You'll notice it when you play, say, Granada on X68000 vs Genesis (the X68000 version is still better though).

4. I always wanted to play the FM Towns version of Shadow of the Beast II. It looks a lot like the Sega CD version, but with added graphical details and much better cut scenes.

5. I've got all 3 PCs (of course lol).

X68000
    When it comes to hardware reliability, the X68 FDDs are a bit suspect. I've seen a number of bad ones over the years with no known way to fix them. However, you can mod the system to run off a CF HDD which I've done. Games are mostly arcade ports and given the pricing of them vs getting the real arcade boards, this system has very few original games to offer. Also, some games only run in 31kHz even though they are low res so go call Recap, his X68 screenshots with scanlines aren't accurate! lol (Nowadays, you can use the slg3000, a cheap scanline emulator for 480p signals, for scanlines and it works wonderfully well) You'll need the original monitor or a monitor that can do 15 and 31kHz. I use mine on a arcade multi sync monitor.

X68 recommendations
    Akumajo Dracula
    Aquales
    Arcus Odyssey
    Chorensha (fan made, score attack)
    Code-Zero
    Dive On (fan made, basically Super Star Soldier)
    Etoile Princess
    Genocide 1-2
    Granada
    Hydlide III Special Version
    Phalanx (31kHz with slg3000 is great)
    Sol Feace
    Undeadline
    Valis II (arranged version of the PC88 game, totally different from the PCE one)

MSX
    The MSX has a number of flavors with the Turbo-R being the highest end. Only the best games on the format can rival stuff on the Famicom. Early games are more reminscent of stuff you'd find on the C64 but those are usually on cart while later games came on 3.5 disks. I've never come across bad disks on MSX though. FDDs are known to go bad but you can mod machines to use standard FDDs. Pricing has skyrocketed on the popular games though...

MSX recommendations (notice they're almost all Konami and Compile)
    Aleste 1-2, Gaiden (it's one of the special Fall issues of Compile's disk mag)
    AshGuine series (each installment is made by a different dev)
    Shin Golvellius
    Metal Gear 1-2
    Space Manbow
    Xak I-II, Special, Fray
    Zanac

FM Towns
    FM Towns is a favorite of mine. Many of the games are DOS ports converted by the original devs and are often bilingual. Some of them are known to be the best version of a given game such as Ultima VI, Monkey Island, Zak McKracken, etc. There are reports that the FDD's belt can easily go bad but never has happened to me and I owned a FM Towns II & 2 FM Towns PCs. The problem with this format is that it wasn't very popular at all so the print runs for games are very low making certain games extremely expensive/hard to find period. Ving made a number of great arcade ports (Bubble Bobble, Rainbow Islands, Viewpoint, Truxton II, PuLiRuLa, etc) but again, for the current prices, you could just get the arcade boards. Towns can be hooked up to standard VGA monitors.

Towns recommendations
    Indiana Jones: Last Crusade, Fate of Atlantis
    Loom
    Might & Magic III-V
    Prince of Persia 2 (not bilingual though)
    Psychic Detective series Remake versions (you'll need Japanese for these though)
    Secret of Monkey Island 1-2
    Ultima Trilogy, IV, V, VI, Underworld I-II
    Wing Commander 1, SM, 2
    Wizardry V-VII
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The X68000 was a pretty amazing system for its time. It was a real deal gaming PC during a time when computers weren't really designed for games. It's architecture was very arcade-like and its graphics hardware in particular was way beyond anything in a console at the time.

Alas, it wasn't all that popular and most major developers ignored it in favor of the vastly inferior PC-98, which sucked a thousand dicks in terms of gaming hardware. But there are some real good games on it, some really excellent arcade ports, and superior versions of Wolfteam's 16-bit era stuff. With an MT-32 equipped, the thing has some amazing sound, too, and the MT-32 was pretty well supported compared to the tacked-on support it was given by a lot of PC games.
    I don't remember the Colocovision having sprites that big. PC-98 had Rusty though

7. Quote Originally Posted by Korian View Post
    [CENTER]I don't remember the Colocovision having sprites that big.
    Well MSX carts tended to be a bit bigger, but the video hardware and processor were exactly the same.

PC-98 had Rusty though
    There were some good games on PC-98, but almost all of them had to have titty shots in the cut scenes, and it was still a dogshit piece of hardware, stuck in a very limited 16-color mode with no graphics acceleration whatsoever and not much CPU power.

8. I hear Night Slave is pretty great, regardless of titties.

Fantasy Zone X68000 had a Space Harrier Zone.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    There were some good games on PC-98, but almost all of them had to have titty shots in the cut scenes, and it was still a dogshit piece of hardware, stuck in a very limited 16-color mode with no graphics acceleration whatsoever and not much CPU power.
    It depends upon which part of the 98 family you are talking about. You're referring to the initial models. As you get to the 90's, there were graphic accelerators and various sound upgrades. Then there are 9821 series which can have up to a Pentium in them.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)