Page 1 of 20 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death of Internet Anonymity

The Death of Internet Anonymity

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/G...onymity-109777

Kind of scary when the CEO of google is predicting this.

"The only way to manage this is true transparency and no anonymity. In a world of asynchronous threats, it is too dangerous for there not to be some way to identify you. We need a [verified] name service for people. Governments will demand it."
    It is amazing how willing people are to kill freedom for the sake of fear and greed.

And if this ever does happen, I predict teen suicide to go up in the US. If something like this becomes a reality, it is only a matter of time before there is a parent version that parents can buy or subscribe to. I can safely say, most parents in rural America do not need to know what their kids are doing online. Most of them have a very naive idea of what it means to be 14. This is going to result in a lot of turmoil between people.

2. You're the most paranoid person I know.
    Boo, Hiss.

The sad thing is that a lot of people voluntarily give up their anonymity on facebook, twitter, etc.

14 year-olds should have no expectation of privacy. Minors do not have the same rights as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    You're the most paranoid person I know.
    You've known me for what, 15 years? You know what I find funny. You know what weird things I like to talk about. And I've to some affect talked about the kinds of people I'm friends with.

And I live in the most oppressive state in the country. A state that still has full bans on alcohol. A state that by all accounts is the most unfriendly place to gay or trans people in the whole industrialized world. A state with laws that still ban sodomy or blow jobs. A state that still has counties with segregated proms.

You act surprised by my paranoia, but you shouldn't be. You should be able to put the pieces together. I'm a very well acquainted with the evils that lay in the hearts of some of my fellow Americans. But instead, you scoff, hiding behind your naivety. That it will never happen to you or anyone you know. That you live in one of the "good" states, where there are no bad people. "who cares about those bad states. That is the "other" America. I don't have to worry about them."

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    The sad thing is that a lot of people voluntarily give up their anonymity on facebook, twitter, etc.

14 year-olds should have no expectation of privacy. Minors do not have the same rights as adults.
    So you are ok with a single christian mother monitoring her kids, finding out one of them is gay and beating him near to death?

This already happens. Removing anonymity would just increase the frequency.

How the hell did you make that leap? I am ok with the mother monitoring her kids. I am not ok with any parent beating their kid to near death.

Kids need to be smarter about what they say online. Future schools and employers are going to have access to that stuff, whether their parents do or not. I hope but doubt that schools are teaching kids this.

7. well of course shit like this was gonna happen, this year alone pretty much solidified that

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Kids need to be smarter about what they say online. Future schools and employers are going to have access to that stuff, whether their parents do or not. I hope but doubt that schools are teaching kids this.
    Yoshi, you're smarter than this.

You have just given a circular argument. "teenagers should have no expectation of privacy because their will be no privacy" ?

Those were two separate thoughts, which is why I made them two separate paragraphs. Kids should have no expectation of privacy from their parents. In addition, they should be taught that it's likely that their future will be affected by what they say online.

10. I'd be cool with people having to use their real name to post on the Internet.

Would cut out some of the bullshit, I think.