Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rocksmith Official Thread

1. Rocksmith Official Thread

So, I noticed we don't have a thread for this game and it comes out this week.

This is ubisofts guitar game, and yeah I know guitar/music games are dead but the big deal on this one is you use your own guitar to play, no plastic guitars, no need to buy specially designed real guitars, just take your own guitar and plug it in with the USB adapter. Honestly this looks like it's going to be pretty good. I think I might wait just a bit to see reviews but I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting this. Here's a couple of videos that show how it works:

and the song list for release:

House of the Rising Sun The Animals
    When I'm With You Best Coast
    I Got Mine The Black Keys
    Next Girl The Black Keys
    Song 2 Blur
    Step Out of the Car Boxer Rebellion
    Sunshine of Your Love Cream
    We Share the Same Skies The Cribs
    Boys Don't Cry The Cure
    Rebel Rebel David Bowie
    Slow Hands Interpol
    Well OK Honey Jenny O
    Sweet Home Alabama Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Breed Nirvana
    In Bloom Nirvana
    Where is My Mind? The Pixies
    High and Dry Radiohead
    Number Thirteen Red Fang
    (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction The Rolling Stones
    The Spider and the Fly The Rolling Stones
    Panic Switch Silversun Pickups
    Outshined Soundgarden
    Me and the Bean Spoon
    Vasoline Stone Temple Pilots
    Mean Bitch Taddy Porter
    A More Perfect Union Titus Andronicus
    Burnished White Denim
    Icky Thump The White Stripes
    Chimney Yellow Moon Band

Honestly this is looking pretty good. Is anyone picking it up?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. I own a guitar I rarely play but always mean to, so this might be perfect for me. Not that I'll buy it anytime soon but it's pretty cool to be able to just use a normal instrument.

3. Oh my god! I want to play 2 of those songs! But I already know them.

4. Sooo... did anyone get this? I'm having a good time with it so far. I only casually picked up a guitar to learn about a year ago so I'm still pretty garbage, but I think this game in conjunction with Youtube (or websites like justinguitar.com) or whatever is a pretty great learning tool. My only gripe is that it's pretty skimpy on the nomenclature of guitar playing. Like, it never even tells you the names of the strings. So an inexperienced guitar player will call it the red note instead of an E. Kinda stupid.

The cord works pretty well though. Pretty amazing technology, especially since it can even differentiate between single notes and chords.

Also, here's a vid of some dude on youtube fucking DESTROYING Freebird. Dope. Skip to ~5:00 for the solo craziness.

5. Bump-a-roo. So, I snagged this at Target for $30 yesterday. I'd just bought a guitar to learn with earlier in the week, so the two together were pretty awesome.

Anyway, I've only played a few songs so far. As Eightbit said, I feel like I'm being skimped with the proper terminology, but I do feel like I'm getting better with the movement of my fingers. Again, a few songs, but ... I can see where this is going. I'm liking it. I've always wanted to learn guitar and this seems like a shut-in's dream come true.
    bastard of the new world order.

6. I've swayed back and forth about this for a while.
    I want to get back into guitar, but don't want to pay $$$ for a decent guitar. So I thought I would look at Pawn Shops. Every one I've gone into has wanted more for (what google tells me are shit guitars) used than what they are new, and they're not vintage or anything! A few years old, beat and missing strings.
    So anyway, I fully intend on getting one, and getting this series to help learn.

7. I picked up an Epiphone Special II. Cheap guitar but it works. And I've always wanted a Les Paul-esque guitar. So, I was pretty pumped.
    bastard of the new world order.

8. I got this on sale for a few bucks a little while back. I want to learn some damn chords so I can play for fun. While this may lack proper terminology, I'll match faces to names later when I can match tone to finger placement (hah!)

I need a cheap-ish guitar to learn on. I'll look around at pawn shops and Craigslist, but I'd also appreciate a recommendation from some TNL folks, too.

9. Check out Rondo Music if you're looking to get something brand new for under $100:

http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

If you want to spend more like $200-$300, I would try to find something used on eBay or Craiglist.

10. Bump for 2014 Edition.

Kind of on a whim I bought this (having never even played the 2011 version) and hoping my roommate would let me use his electric guitar. It works freaking great. We've both been addicted to it pretty much since we plugged it in. I actually went to my local music shop today and bought a cheap-ass guitar so we can both play. ($90, on sale from $150 supposedly, Peavey Tomb? It's a bit heavy and the back has pretty ugly plastic doors but seems to work well for this purpose. I'll upgrade later if I stick with it.)

Anyway, I've had an acoustic guitar for about 10 years now, and I completely suck ass because I never practice. I've tried! I'll look up some tabs, then I'll realize I forget the chords or don't know the ones I need, so I'll sit awkwardly at my desk, guitar banging into corners, try playing for a few minutes, forget what the song should really sound like and look it up on youtube, give up and play the three riffs I learned the first week I had the guitar. [for the record: the cure love song bass line, the star wars theme song, and bad religion's american jesus.] So... yeah. I just never got very far with it. It sits. Other people play it.

Now on the other hand, I got pretty into Rock Band (and Guitar Hero before that) with my roommates circa 2008-10. I know the guitar is absolutely nothing like real guitar, but I accelerated to expert level pretty quickly (on Rock Band, at least) and I LOVED playing the drums. I don't know if I still can, but I could play hard on most songs, which was satisfying enough. I LOVED how it felt like I was actually learning how to play a real instrument. The visuals really help me.

So basically, Rocksmith is awesome because A.) it is visually brilliant and clear B.) it is really fun and modular C.) I feel like I am learning new stuff for the first time in ten years. I want to stick with this and play a little bit every day.

I could definitely nitpick a few things about the software—menu things, some confusing settings, etc. Small things when the overall experience actually WORKS as well as it does and the game interface is great. In comparison to a couple videos I just watched of the 2011 version, it looks like they're really committed to improving the interface as much as possible, so that's cool.

Also, and this is pretty huge, with 2 minutes of work, you can download custom tracks that the community has made. Looks like new tracks are being added every day. Tenacious D? Hell yes. Database at http://search.customsforge.com