Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your top 20 movies OF ALL TIME?

1. What are your top 20 movies OF ALL TIME?

LIST THREAD GO!

A while ago I was asked this very question, so I decided to try and make a definitive list of my 20 favorite movies in order. After weeks of tweaking, I've come up with something that I'm pretty happy with.

Currently, this is what I have:

1) Mulholland Dr.
    2) Wet Hot American Summer
    3) Enter The Void
    4) Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
    5) Mysterious Skin
    6) Akira
    7) Suspiria
    8) A Nightmare on Elm Street
    9) RoboCop
    10) Possession
    11) The Shining
    12) Angst
    13) Perfect Blue
    14) Videodrome
    15) Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
    16) The Lost Boys
    17) The Devils
    18) The Fifth Element
    19) Taxi Driver
    20) Gummo

So what are yours? Bonus points if its in order, which makes it much harder and more fun to do. I figured at the very least we'd get some good recommendations and some laughs at some of the more ridiculous stuff people like (yes, i like Scott Pilgrim more than Taxi Driver, DEAL WITH IT.)

2. I just saw this same thread on another forum and people mentioned Mullholland Drive. I don't understand why people love that movie so much. It was good, I enjoyed it - but come on.

3. I know right, why would some people like a movie more than other people liked it for maybe different or the same reasons when they could like another movie that is possibly held in higher regard or more generally accepted or maybe just liked by a different group of people or maybe the same people, come on.

4. 1. Terminator 2
    2. Fargo
    3. Manhunter
    4. No Country For Old Men
    5. The Black Hole
    6. High Noon
    7. Dark City
    8. The Big Lebowski
    9. The Blair Witch Project
    10. Last Days
    11. Ghostbusters
    12. The Fugitive
    13. The Great Mouse Detective
    14. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
    15. The Life Aquatic
    16. Bruiser
    17. Cannibal! The Musical
    18. Ravenous
    19. Apocalypse Now
    20. (tie) Original Star Wars Trilogy, Friday the 13th series

Yeah, I know #20 seems like a cop-out, but that's how I view 'em. Most of my list is pretty fluid, but the top five are rock solid, at the least.
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Salsashark View Post
    I know right, why would some people like a movie more than other people liked it for maybe different or the same reasons when they could like another movie that is possibly held in higher regard or more generally accepted or maybe just liked by a different group of people or maybe the same people, come on.
    Yeah, art is subjective. I get it. Calling Mulholland Drive the greatest movie ever made is still ridiculous to me. David Lynch has far fewer things to worry about than other writer/directors, among which are a coherent plot and characters that make sense.

6. I wish I could find the one from when I was nineteen. This is a rough guess.

1. The Good The Bad and The Ugly
    2. The Blues Brothers
    3. Jackie Brown
    4. Requiem For a Dream
    5. Seven Samurai
      ♠ ♠ ♠
    6. The Maltese Falcon
    7. Once Upon a Time in the West
    8. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
    9. Hud
    10. Unforgiven
      ♣ ♣ ♣
    11. Mulholland Drive
    12. Alien
    13. A Clockwork Orange
    14. Pulp Fiction
    15. Dazed and Confused
      ♦ ♦ ♦
    16. Sunset Boulevard
    17. No Country For Old Men
    18. Rear Window
    19. Stagecoach
    20. A Kentucky Fried Movie
      ♥ ♥ ♥
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 25 Oct 2011 at 11:55 AM.

7. Mulholland Drive is easily the greatest Hollywood movie since it captures the emotional truth (I hate using that term but it works here) of the Hollywood movie system and sheer greed, lust, desire, confusion and madness. It's also very noir and rips off Sunset Boulevard to an extent. I feel so strongly about it, it should be in my top 5! But like everything emotional, when the feeling was over, I dropped it at 11.

8. Here's some of mine. Most are recent. I don't have time to rank them.

The Big Lebowski, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Moulin Rouge, City of God, Trainspotting, Magnolia, Chinatown, Children of Men

9. Casablanca not showing up on people's lists makes me sad.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. Casablanca is great! But I like Maltese more and listed it. 20 was hard and I wanted variety and not all Westerns, Horror and Noir.