Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo eShop closing for WiiU and 3DS by end of year.

1. Nintendo eShop closing for WiiU and 3DS by end of year.

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintend...p-discontinued

They will stop accepting Credit Card purchases in May and will stop accepting eShop card codes in August.

2. While I like Nintendo a lot this is one of those times I really wish they'd stop doing this shit. I mean honestly if they're constantly going after ROM sites to get people to stop downloading their games, then they should make it possible to buy them from Nintendo directly. A lot of games on the Wii U eshop will be gone forever once this happens.

I still tell people that the Gameboy Advance Version of Super Mario Bros.3 on the Wii U eshop is a must own. They had added all the E-reader card content to that version of the game so you can finally access all the new levels and content they added. There's a lot of TG-16 titles there also with a large quality list of Gameboy Advance games as well.

The Wii U library has a great selection of titles. A lot of them did make it to the Switch but there's still quite a few hold outs that may or may not make it. I play my Wii U a lot of the time so I'm sad Nintendo is once again doing this shit. Also I would suggest if you're going to add physical titles to your Wii U collection that you should grab all the DLC or Updates for all the games you get.

Speaking of Breath of the Wild as one of their best games in years. Mario Kart 8 is still fucking killing it in top game charts after all this time. Fucking crazy...
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

3. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    While I like Nintendo a lot this is one of those times I really wish they'd stop doing this shit. I mean honestly if they're constantly going after ROM sites to get people to stop downloading their games, then they should make it possible to buy them from Nintendo directly.
    Keeping stuff "in print" should be a requirement for long-term copyright. Especially in this digital age where that's a very low bar.

4. Yuck

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Keeping stuff "in print" should be a requirement for long-term copyright. Especially in this digital age where that's a very low bar.
    I agree with this since there's going to be a point where a lot of older games will literally vanish forever because of draconian shit like this from Nintendo.

5. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I agree with this since there's going to be a point where a lot of older games will literally vanish forever because of draconian shit like this from Nintendo.
    And the real worry is, of course, not Nintendo games, it's the smaller companies, companies that might go out of business, be bought and sold, or games that involve complex licensing situations that may be difficult to unravel.

There are a lot of games (and other media) that are permanently out of print not because no one wants to release them, but because no one is even really sure who owns them anymore and it can take a century for copyright to lapse now.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

6. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Sounds like a rule that would be more of a burden on the little guy to me, but hey, Disney could just buy it up once they lapse and then you'll always be able to get it from them.
    1) Little Guys aren't putting dormant IP in the vault for decades on end.

2) You can't "buy up" things in the public domain. That's the whole point. Once it's public domain, it's no longer protected by copyright, and anyone is welcome to copy it, sell it, or modify it.

Sent from my LE2127 using Tapatalk

7. I picked up the Turbo version of Lords of Thunder and Mario vs. Donkey Kong from the GBA for the Wii U. I'm still eying a few more titles.

8. Everybody's already got Affordable Space Adventures on Wii U I hope? One of my all time favorites.

9. I’m checking out a video right now. Im liking what I’m seeing here.

Thanks!

10. Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    Everybody's already got Affordable Space Adventures on Wii U I hope? One of my all time favorites.
    That is an awesome game. Probably one of the few indi titles that make very good use of the features of the Wii U gamepad.