Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So That's Where That Came From...

1. So That's Where That Came From...

Lots of music and other media use samples or drops from old movies and commercials. Do you know of any and what their origin is?
    A few days ago I learned where the "If this is gunna be that kind of party I'm going to stick my dick in the mashed potatos" line from B-Boys and the Freak Freak came from.
    A few days before that I was watching Death Wish and found out where Opie and Anthony got their "God damn rich cunt!" drop from.
    Ministry loves using movie drops in their music though the only one I can think of offhand was a bunch from Full Metal Jacket.
    Blue Velvet gets a drop in the Anthrax/Beastie Boy song I'm the Man '91. "I can hear your radio you stupid shit!"
    What songs do you know that have movie samples from, and do you know what movie it came from?

2. Someone figure out where the samples from 'Public Service Announcement' by Jay-Z come from.

O&A use a ton of Godfather/Kubrick/Scorsese clips

3. I watched Carnal Knowledge based on all the drops Howard used to play from that. Great movie.

4. Last edited by Doc Holliday; 03 Nov 2011 at 06:00 PM.

5. If Doc wasn't busy being three other people he'd know I already posted where the mashed potatos line came from when I first brought it up in the I Just Watched thread.

6. They're called samples.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. I've always heard them referred to as music samples or movie drops. I've never heard someone say they sampled a movie.

8. I have. Movie drop is new to me.

The Day of the Dead sample in Gorillaz "M1A1" more or less got me into horror movies when I was 16.

DJ Shadow's use of the spooky recordings in Prince of Darkness also made me watch that movie.

I love that scene, it's really spooky

I also recently discovered the whole "This is cannibalism" sample on Dr. Octagon is from a 30's movie called Doctor X. It's always pretty gratifying to see this stuff in context.

Oh, and seeing the end of Endtroducing on Twin Peaks was a big THAT'S WHERE iT'S FROM moment for me a couple of years ago

9. Howard and O&A call them drops, so that's what I refer to them as.
    Here's a reverse one. The college radio station around here has played a techno song for well over a decade that features samples (happy?) from Evil Dead. There's no lyrics but you hear Death by dawn, groovy, and swallow this a lot. I could probably google it, but it's more fun if someone just knows it already.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 06 Nov 2011 at 05:25 PM.

10. On radio it's drops. In music it's samples.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!