Page 106 of 108 FirstFirst ... 92102104105106107108 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 1075

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Not really looking to build a system, just looking for a laptop that will be reasonably well-powered for around a grand.
    Sorry, I accidentally linked to the specs of the CPU.

I meant to provide a link for this laptop. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-swo...?skuId=6496176

Here's an Asus laptop, with similar specs, running games in 1080p/Ultra.

Last edited by gamevet; 05 Apr 2023 at 12:05 AM.

2. Cool, thanks! I'll look into it.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Hmm...both look really good. If it was totally up to you, which would you go for? The MSI or the Asus?

Again, appreciate the help.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. I'm Asus all day, every day. My last 5 PC builds had an Asus motherboard in them. Asus makes great/reliable hardware. Even my Strix RTX 3060 Ti (in my desktop) is Asus.

It looks like Best Buy raised the price on that MSI laptop. But, I did find the Asus laptop and it has the much better RTX 3070 8GB graphics. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tu...?skuId=6494644

The only downside is that it only has a 512GB of storage space. You can add a 2TB M.2 drive to expand that though.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12 Apr 2023 at 09:30 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'm Asus all day, every day. My last 5 PC builds had an Asus motherboard in them. Asus makes great/reliable hardware. Even my Strix RTX 3060 Ti (in my desktop) is Asus.

It looks like Best Buy raised the price on that MSI laptop. But, I did find the Asus laptop and it has the much better RTX 3070 8GB graphics. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tu...?skuId=6494644

The only downside is that it only has a 512GB of storage space. You can add a 2TB M.2 drive to expand that though.
    Yeah, I did some research, and I've got to agree with you 100%. Especially with the new price bump on the MSI, which just sealed the deal for the Asus for me. It is a bummer about the smaller SSD, but like you said I can upgrade that at some point.

Thanks, man! You've been a huge help.

Finally ordered my mobo. I'm on a budget and the ASRock steel legend didn't look terrible. Hopefully it's not pure trash. Looking at the CPU, and I'm only doing 1080 gaming at the moment. Is the i5 12400f worth it , or should I shoot for a 13th gen?

:EDIT: looked up comparisons to both and the 12400f is just fine for me.avg improvement was 10%. That's not big enough for me to pay 60 bucks more.
    Last edited by JBNagis; 14 Apr 2023 at 02:12 PM.

7. A D4 or D5 board? 32 GB of DDR4-3200 c16 would be fine for that CPU, if it’s a D4 board. Just be sure to use XMP to set the frequency.

That's perfect. I was going to try and get 3400 or 3600 but if that CPU better utilizes 3200 that's perfect. Appreciate the help. I'll have everything except gpu by June.

9. Quote Originally Posted by JBNagis View Post
    That's perfect. I was going to try and get 3400 or 3600 but if that CPU better utilizes 3200 that's perfect. Appreciate the help. I'll have everything except gpu by June.
    Yeah, if you can find 3600 CL16 for around the same price, then You’re golden!

I got 3600 CL18 for my brother and it was only $67.

So i have all my upgrades prepared. even found a set of 3600 cl;16 for under a hundo. now.....in my shoes, on a budget and probably not able to sell the wife on spending more than 300 on a graphics card. would you go for the 6650xt, which i have been seeing good things on for a budget. or risk a the used gpu market for around the same price. ive seen 6650's for 230 to 280 and some used 20 series gpus for the same.