Page 13 of 108 FirstFirst ... 911121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Personally I'd recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.
    When I rebuilt my system last December this was the highest rated thing EVERYWHERE and the most recommended on every single overclocking forum I could find.

I got it, it's fucking incredible and way better than my older, much more expensive, coolers.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    When I rebuilt my system last December this was the highest rated thing EVERYWHERE and the most recommended on every single overclocking forum I could find.

I got it, it's fucking incredible and way better than my older, much more expensive, coolers.
    Yeah!

I have the slightly older Cooler Master Hyper N520. Even under the most extreme conditions, my Q9650 hasn't gone about 59 degrees.
    Last edited by gamevet; 25 Apr 2012 at 12:39 AM.

3. MY MOTHERBOARD WAS LOOKING FOR A FLOPPY DRIVE THAT DIDN'T EXIST THIS WHOLE TIME.

I shut it off and it posts in the blink of an eye.

Fuck's sake.

4. So you did end up with an SSD or no? Awesome, right? Unless you said no, then too bad

5. I did! Got the one you recommended! Now that I fixed that POST bullshit, this thing flies.

It was probably the best suggestion I got. Thanks a lot, man.

6. I'm in the market for a new SATA harddrive, who's on top these days? Thinking around 2 terabytes.

7. for storage? or are you looking for something that's good with constant disk i/o

if it's just storage any ol' 2tb drive will do fine, especially something like a 5900rpm drive that can be had relatively cheap

vvv that's why I asked if it was just for storage, there's 0 noticeable difference between a 5900rpm and a 7200rpm drive if all its doing is housing videos or music; running an os or anything else with a lot of disk activity is another thing altogether
    Last edited by cka; 28 Aug 2012 at 09:21 PM.

8. I've heard that the larger drives have incredibly long seek times, because of all the space that that has to be read. The prices have come down pretty significantly, so I'd suggest at least a 7200 rpm drive to shorten the seek times a little bit.

9. I haven't noticed really bad seek times for my 1tb drives but I can't speak for anything larger.

Also if you're talking about a storage drive it doesn't even matter that much, but if your taking any about drive you boot from I really can't recommend an ssd for your boot and a normal 7200rpm sata for your data enough. Running your programs and drivers and system off that ssd is amazing.

10. I would imagine the PCI-E SSDs are better than the SATA ones, no?