Page 14 of 108 FirstFirst ... 1012131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I haven't noticed really bad seek times for my 1tb drives but I can't speak for anything larger.

Also if you're talking about a storage drive it doesn't even matter that much, but if your taking any about drive you boot from I really can't recommend an ssd for your boot and a normal 7200rpm sata for your data enough. Running your programs and drivers and system off that ssd is amazing.
    I think it may have been just with the Seagate drives that were over 1tb. Several people on the PC site I was visiting, were talking about not buying a Seagate HDD over 1 tb, because the seek times almost doubled.

I'm about to build another gaming PC with a 120 gig SSD for a boot drive and to hold several of the games I play most. I plan on dropping a 500 gig HDD for storage and using a partition of the SSD for cache.

2. Friday was both a sad day, and a great day. I tore down my 2010-2011 build (Q9650 on a 750i motherboard) so I could use the case and power supply for my new i5-2500k. I just had to do it, because my GTX 460s in sli were being bottle-necked by my CPU, even though it was a Quad-Core running at 3.37 Ghz. The new build was pretty cheap at just under $300.

SanDisk 128 GB Sata 3 SDD for $80.

8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 RAM for $40.

i5-2500k for $159

Asus P7Z68-V motherboard for $1

I was totally amazed by the increase in performance the i5-2500k provided, along with the 128 GB SDD. My Windows rating jumped to a 7.5, with the SDD being the lowest rating and the graphics registering a 7.9. My 3DMark11 score jumped a massive 1800 points. Battlefield 3 took almost 2 hours to load onto my old PC, with a 500 gig Seagate Barracuda HDD, on this setup it took about an hour with updates. And my frame-rates jumped by about 15-20 fps on average.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3DMark11.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	215.0 KB 
ID:	67060   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows rating.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	67061  
    Last edited by gamevet; 20 Sep 2012 at 07:56 PM.

3. Yes but nowhere near worth the price from my understanding. Could be wrong though.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Yes but nowhere near worth the price from my understanding. Could be wrong though.
    ??????????

Ops just OP'n

6. I won an i7-2600k processor from a twitter contest. I already have a 46" hd monitor, and using these 2 building blocks I want to make a computer that will let me play all the cool shit until the new consoles come out, and I want to be able to run all the good emulators.

Assuming I have NOTHING else (case, power supply, etc) can you guys tell me what I need to buy?

EDIT: This is the processor I have. http://www.Newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-115-070
    Last edited by Korly; 28 Sep 2012 at 10:27 PM.

7. A case, power supply , etc.

8. Thanks!

9. Motherboard
    Ram
    Power Supply
    SSD OS Drive
    Storage drive (all though I wouldn't buy a mechanical drive from Newegg the one thing they pack like shit)
    Videocard
    Case
    Optical Drive (Supports bluray playback (not burning) but does also burn dvds)
    Optional 3rd party cpu cooler if you overclock
    Optional thermal paste for optional CPU cooler
    Optional Fans for Option CPU Cooler to set it up in a push pull configuration for even more cooling, you'd want 2 so that the pressure on both sides is the same

I'm sure others will come in and have other suggestions, but that would be a pretty rock solid machine right there.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

10. Without the overclocking stuff that is almost a thousand dollars.

Computers are expensive.