Page 17 of 108 FirstFirst ... 31315161718192131 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. So I want to get a PC with either the AMD FX-8120, FX-8150 or FX-8320. Any help on building it would be sweet. But for now, should I go win WIN 7 or 8? I need it to edit video files.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. whatevers cheaper, there's no benefits for 8 over 7 for that task

3. Skip on the Bulldozers. THe FX-8320 has a much better IPC than the 8150 or 8120.

Are are living in Austin now, or are you still in the DFW area?

You can get the FX-8320 bundled with a nice motherboard for under $260, if you buy it at Microcenter.

http://www.microcenter.com/site/prod...d_bundles.aspx
    Last edited by gamevet; 26 Feb 2013 at 11:11 PM.

4. From my database experience (mainly building database macros in MS Access), our faster laptops run slower with Office 2007/Win 7 over the slower older laptops running 2003/Win XP. I kind of want to keep XP on my personal machine, but the video editing software I use (Sony Vegas and Premiere) will likely be Win 7 only, if the new versions aren't already.

Thanks Gamevet! After some quick research, it seems I can get the FX-8320 at about the same price. Right now, I'm surfing ebay with a 'barebones-build your-own' retailer -- allpczone. If anyone has any sites to recommend or a way to go about this, that would be great!

EDIT: FYI my budget is $600-$650 looking for 16RAM/32 capable, best CPU for my money, and I've been told the graphic card is not so important with video editing. I don't need new monitors or anything.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 26 Feb 2013 at 11:18 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. The advantage of building your own, is that you can setup a dual-boot system to fill your needs. My build from 2010 has XP Pro and Windows 7. I installed one 500 gig drive for the XP side and another 500 gig drive for Windows 7. You'll have to setup the XP side first, before installing Windows 7. It might not be so easy with a $600 budget though.

You're going to have a hard time finding a build with 16 gigs of DDR3 1600 for under $650. Cyberpower and IBuyPower start out at around $600 with the bare minimum.
    Last edited by gamevet; 26 Feb 2013 at 11:30 PM.

6. True. I could spend more, but right now I do faily decent with a five year old Intel T9400 and 2 GB ram on XP. Plus, I have other equipment I need to buy. But that Microcenter bundle helps! Thanks! My other av nerd friends run Win 7, I'll probably transition fine.

7. Your shopping cart is empty, but it doesn't have to be.
    Oh noes!

(you might have to screen cap it)

8. http://www.ascendtech.us/amd-fx-8320...mdfx83202.aspx

Here's the page before the cart.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gamevet; 26 Feb 2013 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    So I want to get a PC with either the AMD FX-8120, FX-8150 or FX-8320. Any help on building it would be sweet. But for now, should I go win WIN 7 or 8? I need it to edit video files.