Page 3 of 108 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. Microcenter will also pricematch to Newegg in store. Went with my bro last year around this time to build him a computer, they were cheapest for half the stuff and price matched the other half.

2. I'm going to pick up that i5-2500k, and I'm looking at motherboards, I was thinking of going with this. Or something around that price point.

3. Spend just a bit more and get a Asus Z68 motherboard imo.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

4. I'm going to second the Asus recommendation.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. First off, I know jack shit about building pcs. That said, this is what I *think* I want. What should be done differently. All prices are from Newegg. I don't have a microcenter in my area unfortunately.

Rosewell Challenger Case $60
    Seagate 1 TB harddrive $125
    EVGA GTX 460 $149
    Coolmax 700w power supply $70
    G.Skill 16gb memory (4x4 gb) $140
    Asus Maximus IV Z68 $180
    i5 2500k Sandy Bridge $230

I don't know if that stuff is all compatible, but spec wise that's what I want and I want to spend no more than a grand.
    So what can I do to make it a better deal/fit.

6. The only thing you really need to look at is the mobo and processor. Both are 1155. You're fine.

7. The ram is good, but might be overkill. I got 8g of corsair vengeance 1600 for $49

8. My thought was even though I don't need it now, it's computers so I will need it eventually. But by the time I do need it, it will probably be cheaper. Thanks.

9. This is what I got.

So even if you buy that x2, you're saving $40.
    Last edited by Chux; 09 Feb 2012 at 09:01 AM. Reason: MATH

10. I don't know if you plan on doing any overclocking, which is crazy simple on the most recent i5's and i7's. If you do, you may want to look into low profile ram, that doesn't have the huge ass heat sink coming off it. Since most aftermarket CPU coolers are pretty big and hang over where the memory sits. That's only if you plan on overclocking though, if not ignore my suggestion. Something like this.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.