Page 82 of 108 FirstFirst ... 687880818283848696 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. Most boxed PCs don't allow an over-clock. They usually have the shittiest CPU cooler out there, a bare minimum power supply and the motherboards are pretty cheap.

2. I get that, but it seems strange to even list overclocking as disabled in that case.

This is a weird PC, it was $817 new and came with a GTX 1070. Considering the nice case and the fact that I didn't have to build it I'm calling it a hell of a deal.

3. I'm sure there's a perfectly valid technical reason for it to be there but locked out. They probably wanted to keep their options open just in case they decided to try and charge money for enabling it one day.

4. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    I get that, but it seems strange to even list overclocking as disabled in that case.

This is a weird PC, it was $817 new and came with a GTX 1070. Considering the nice case and the fact that I didn't have to build it I'm calling it a hell of a deal.
    It might be that you have a non-k CPU. Is it something like an i5-6400?

Is it this computer?
    Last edited by gamevet; 12 Mar 2017 at 11:59 PM.

5. It is that computer. The price has been jumping around randomly since I first found it. I just missed getting it for 800 even.

6. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    It is that computer. The price has been jumping around randomly since I first found it. I just missed getting it for 800 even.
    I don't want to sound like an ass, but your CPU is going to be a bottleneck for that GPU.

Last edited by gamevet; 13 Mar 2017 at 01:00 AM.

7. Installed the new ram, booted up fine. Downloaded memtest and ran it. Passed with no errors, said press escape to exit. Esc did nothing so I hit the power button to shut down.

Now I'm stuck in some weird "preparing automatic repair" loop. I don't want to have to install Windows again.

8. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Installed the new ram, booted up fine. Downloaded memtest and ran it. Passed with no errors, said press escape to exit. Esc did nothing so I hit the power button to shut down.

Now I'm stuck in some weird "preparing automatic repair" loop. I don't want to have to install Windows again.
    Put your old RAM back in the system. Hopefully Windows will allow you to boot up in safe mode.

9. Install Linux.

10. Aaaaaaaaand I'm reinstalling Windows. Hopefully it won't remember my Windows license that I wrote down on that post-it that I threw away yesterday.