Page 85 of 108 FirstFirst ... 718183848586878999 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. yeah right now fractal cases are the fuckin tops, I built in a define S about half a year ago and it's so much better and more roomy than my antec 300

also just a htpc with light gaming? save a few bucks on that cpu and get a pentium g4620 and adequate motherboard for the same price, I rock one and it plays everything I throw at it (even gta5 with reasonable fps on an old as fuck gtx750)

2. Yeah, you can't go wrong with a Fractal Design case.

The Pentium G4620 has been dethroned by the Ryzen R3 1200, a true quad core with the ability to be overclocked on a cheap B350 motherboard.

Paul's hardware built a pretty decent rig with the R3 1200 paired with a GTX 1050Ti for $555. I'd upgrade the SSD to at least a 500GB model for about $50 more and then throw in a 2 TB HDD for another $70-$80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5kB8OozaD0
    Last edited by gamevet; 07 Aug 2017 at 10:29 PM.

3. Damn that is nice, I am tempted to just do a cheap build since I don't game much on it.

4. cheap is good, and in either of those scenarios (intel or amd) you've got a relatively inexpensive upgrade path if you want to game harder on it down the road

edit: but of course if you want to game intel is totes the way to go as shown by this scientifically accurate, non-biased chart

Last edited by cka; 08 Aug 2017 at 08:28 AM.

5. Fuck lol
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

6. I think I have nailed down this build. It is a bit overkill for HTPC but I want some flexibility to game and possibly even VR (lol) down the road.

-CPU: Rizen 5 1600 ($210)
    -GPU: GTX 1060 AMP ($280)
    -Mobo: Asus Prime X370-Pro ($160)
    -Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz ($148)
    -P/S: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD 650W ($90)
    -Boot drive: Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 ($160)

Total comes in at $1050 right at my budget. I will likely reuse one of my old HTPC case, but if it gets too hot I will get the Fractal Designs R5 for another $100 or so. I hope I can get 7+ years out of this setup, the one that just died lasted 6 years.

7. I like that build. The 6 cores and 12 threads should give you more latitude in the future, while a 4 core CPU in 3 or 4 years might be on the way out.

8. The card in my amazon cart went from 280 to 330 in a few hours, and now all other alternatives are not in stock until next week. WTF.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    The card in my amazon cart went from 280 to 330 in a few hours, and now all other alternatives are not in stock until next week. WTF.
    EVGA's B stock 1060s are still in stock and a lot of them are under $300. I'm an EVGA guy, and I believe that they are the best in the business.

10. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    The card in my amazon cart went from 280 to 330 in a few hours, and now all other alternatives are not in stock until next week. WTF.
    This happened to me the other day on a video card. Price jumped $70 in a blink of an eye. No warning. Same seller.