Page 97 of 108 FirstFirst ... 83939596979899101 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. So, I finally upgraded my GPU to the RTX 2080 Super. The performance leap over my GTX 1080 Classified was much larger than I had expected. I was running Metro Exodus using the same 1440p settings, but with RT enabled. I was getting slightly better fps with RT, than I was getting from the 1080 without RT.

Here's the Classified next to my new card. The Classified is a beautiful looking card, with RGB that can be changed with software. The RTX 2080 has no LEDs to speak of, but I was surprised to see that the heat sink was almost as large as that of the Classified card.

The RTX 2080 Super has no back plate, while the Classified had a good looking brushed aluminum backplate with bold red labeling. I can get a okay back plate for the 2080 for about $25 though.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Do a lot of people care what their video card looks like? I guess viewing windows are still really popular.

3. I have no idea what a back plate is for besides retaining heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

4. They can also stiffen the board so they don't twist and or break the PCB from heavy heatsinks or fans over time.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. Buying PC components based on cosmetics has always seemed, to me, to be about picking the less garish option.
    The 2080 pulls ahead based on the lack of colors, but the embossed fan blades are a negative. But they shouldn't be visible while the machine is on.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    Do a lot of people care what their video card looks like? I guess viewing windows are still really popular.
    I have the old card in a tower case next to the entertainment system in the livingroom. I can see the green glow of the card from the couch; It's kind of cool to look at. My main rig sits on the floor next to my desk, so I really don't see inside of the case when I'm sitting at the desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    They can also stiffen the board so they don't twist and or break the PCB from heavy heatsinks or fans over time.
    Yeah, a heavy card like that will sag over time.

7. No one in their right mind buys a case with a window for like the last 15 years.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

8. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    No one in their right mind buys a case with a window for like the last 15 years.
    That's been the trend for quite some time. The over the top LEDs isn't for me though.

Just look at the computers on BitWit's desk.

Last edited by gamevet; 29 Apr 2020 at 09:48 PM.

9. The CPU in my Broadwell NUC runs super hot. It's never less than 65°C, and heats up to 95°C in benchmarks.
    I need to get some compressed air and see if it's just dusty inside, but if that doesn't help, I think it' might be time to replace it.
    The small form factor is really nice, so I'm looking at similarly sized machines. I've been looking at Lenovo's Thinkstation Tiny and Thinkcentre Tiny/Nano machines. There's one with a Ryzen 5 PRO 3400GE APU that seems to go on sale a lot.

10. I cracked mine open last year. I’m pretty sure you can put a small cooler on it.