Page 9 of 108 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    Who knows shit about overclocking these 2500ks? Seems silly to leave it at 3.3GHz when everyone else seems to be overclocking to 4.5. If someone could point me to the best guide to use I'd appreciate it.
    It's really easy to do, just make sure you have a good aftermarket cooler, like the Hyper 212 + or something similar, because you're going to be raising the voltage and the stock cooler really won't be able to keep up. Here's a couple of informative guides, read them and you should have no problem with it.

This one is really good because it breaks down some terms for you, so you're not just randomly changing things that mean nothing to you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/26...clocking-guide

and here's another

http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/th...ormance-review

Read both of those, or hell just read the Tom's hardware one, and you should be totally set.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. So how did your overclock go Stormy?
    Where I play
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. Overclocking the new K series is a joke. Two clicks and you get 4.5 with no increase in idle temp and if your cooler is good pretty low load temps.

As hot as my room has ever got Ive never got my 2600k hotter than 60 no matter how long Ive stress tested it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    So how did your overclock go Stormy?
    Haven't got around to it yet

5. I was just messing around with running the Intel Burn Test on my i5-2500k setup and my temps seem a little higher than I expected. Although they seem really good during normal web browsin' usage (~40C) when I ran the stress test my max temps got up to like 85C. Seems a bit much! Wondering if I should reseat my hyper 212 with a better application of thermal paste or something. I don't know how realistic the Intel Burn Test is for actual usage (like during gaming) or how much of a problem temps like 85c actually are...

6. That seems pretty damn high, specially since these chips run cool, and have a max temp of 98C. Are you over clocking? My first guess is that you have your voltage set way higher than it needs to be. So what is your current voltage setting. Also how do you have the Hyper 212 set up? 1 fan or 2? What thermal paste did you use? Personally I really like IC Diamond.
    Where I play

7. Oh, man! I'm excited. FINALLY finishing my PC build after a year and a half tomorrow!

I've had this old i7-860 lying around for WAY too long. Time to do some fun art and play some fun games using it!

So, let me make a request: I'm going to list what I have and what I was planning on getting to complete the build. If any of you are so kind, please tell me if I'm making a dumb decision.

HAVE:
    Processor: i7-860
    Mobo: Gigabyte P55A-UD3
    Case: HAF 932
    Memory: 4GB PC3-12800 (Corsair XMS3)
    The price tag on the memory says $109.99. It's been sitting there THAT LONG. At ~$50 for 4GB, I'll be picking up more of this.
    I also have a monitor, keyboard and mouse already.

TO BUY:
    Links to Micro Center because that's where I'm buying everything tomorrow. NO MORE WAITING.
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1024MB
    PSU: Corsair HX650W
    HDD: Planning on 2 - 500GB for OS and most software, 1TB for data and Steam. SSD are too expensive for me atm.
    Optical Drive: I'll grab whatever's on sale and not OEM.
    I'm sticking with the stock heatsink, too. I don't think I'll need anything bigger. I'll be loading up on enough fans to fill that case, too.

I'm rather stoked!

8. Get an aftermarket cooler. I have this Coolermaster that's only $15. There are other refurbs for different coolers on their site so you can find one you know will fit. I had this from my old build and thankfully my MB had mounting points for LGA775 coolers. It's much quieter than stock and should be much better for OC.

Stretch for an SSD for real. It won't be that much more than your 500MB drive. You can even get a cheap(ish) 60GB one. This guide will have your Windows install down to about 20GB.

Get 8GB of RAM total, it's cheap now.

Should be a great gaming setup.
    SSDSSDSSDSSDSSDSSDSSDSSDSSDSSD!

9. If you're limiting yourself to microcenter you want this bad boy. Your system will fly. You can't just buy any old SSD though since a lot of them have stability problems. M4 is solid.

edit - if you do get one make sure you turn AHCI on in your bios BEFORE installing windows so it will detect SATAIII and configure it correctly. Then you won't have to hack the fix later like a tard (like me).
    Last edited by stormy; 20 Apr 2012 at 11:46 PM.

10. Personally I'd recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. Micro center has it for like 19.99 from time to time, and at that price you'll be hard pressed to find a better performing cooler. I'd also say splurge and spend the 30 - 40 bucks more and go with the 7850, over the 560 Ti. All of the 7850's on the market are 2GB cards, and they out perform the 560 Ti.
    Where I play