Page 78 of 108 FirstFirst ... 647476777879808292 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. Despite my looking for a new one, I can vouch for this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

2. What's the word on 4tb drives these days? I'm thinking about adding one to my pc.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Anyone know of a good deal on a hard drive? I need an internal one for games. Doesn't have to be ssd
    I pretty much have most of my games on SSDs. They are getting a lot more affordable.

I have a Crucial MX100 500GB SSD as my boot drive in my main rig. It's plenty fast enough. This MX200 isn't quite as fast, but it's good bang for the buck.

I've been reading an unhealthy amount about monitors and am having a hell of a time pulling the trigger. One of the hang ups is the G-Sync vs. FreeSync mess. Despite Nvidia dominating the GPU market, it seems FreeSync is dominating in the monitor market. Samsung just announced two beautiful new monitors that are FreeSync for example. Meanwhile, G-Sync seems to be almost entirely Asus, Acer, and BenQ. Given the price difference, I certainly wouldn't mind FreeSync "winning." I wonder how seriously Nvidia is considering writing FreeSync drivers for their GPUs or what it would take to make them consider it.

5. Is there some reason that a display can't support both?

I don't believe so, but G-Sync requires an expensive (and proprietary) additional piece of hardware.

7. FreeSync is an "open" standard and G-Sync is Nvidia being Nvidia.

8. Ok, I need to build a desktop that will be used primarily for surfing the web, Word, and maybe some video editing. I know I want a lot of RAM and a 1tb HD is fine. My questions are how much RAM is enough to make programs like Photoshop and Sony Vegas open and run smoothly, and what kind of processor do I need? I ask because I know nothing about processors.

9. I think 16 is pretty standard. I went 32 because I got a deal at the time.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

10. IMHO if you're going to be doing video editing I would go with at least a Core i7, minimum 16 gigs of ram if not 32 gigs, and at least a 7200rpm drive, along with an SSD for the OS.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.