Page 93 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7989919293949597107 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. That's a lot for a hard drive, but if it's your only one I see it making sense. I think I kinda prefer to only install what I'm playing at the time, rather than have a gigantic drive. so I do an ssd just large enough for all my art related programs/work and then space for a few large games.

2. I preordered a GeForce RTX 2080.

I couldn't spring for the 2080 Ti. $1,200 was too much for me to justify.

The vanilla 2080 is a lot still, too. Hopefully it will be worth it.

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'm jelly!
    The more I think about it the less sure I am that I really want in on either of those models for the price, though. I wish we had some actual performance information.

I'm about 50/50 on keeping it or cancelling. Maybe I'll go with a 2070 instead or just get a 1080Ti or something.

4. I just looked at what another 16gb of RAM would cost compared to what I paid 2 years ago, and haven't been paying attention to the market. Fucking crazy, like a 200% increase. But the good news is it will supposedly drop 10% over the next year? Great.
    John / JohnNiner / Niner

5. I’ve had a Z97 board laying around for quite some time. I’ve been looking to get 16GB 2133Mhz DDR3 and another i7-4790K to replace the old 2500K rig in the living room. Yeah, the prices of RAM have gone crazy.
    Last edited by gamevet; 25 Sep 2018 at 01:02 AM.

So hey hell has frozen over and I actually ordered parts to build a new computer, which I haven't done in like 15 years. Current desktop is some clearance POS I bought a decade ago.

It's just a cheap build since I don't game much, but I ordered a fairly beefy PSU and case with room so I could drop in pretty much any video card I want should temptation get the better of me. I may yet join the Master Race.

7. PC Gaming has come a long way, I was pleasantly surprised last year.

8. I do most of my gaming on a non-gaming PC. Half of the games in my Steam library could run on a potato.

Yeah I'm not actually even getting it for games, but hey if it can play a few...

I'm using the cheapass Ryzen 2200G, which doesn't have super great integrated video but it's still decent, and should be fine for most of the weird indie and old stuff I'd actually use it for. If I want to AAA game I've got the Xbone, unless I decided to join the dark side and put a beefy video card in it, but I'd have to go fairly expensive (to me) to get something that approaches the Xbone X.