Page 87 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7383858687888991101 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. yeah that's more or less my story too, 120GB ssd for OS (wanna update that to m.2 at some point), 500GB random shit drive, 2TB media drive (which I'd also like to change to a nas of some sort for), 2TB external backup drive because that makes more sense than putting all your eggs in one basket with a single high capacity drive

e: not including the 1TB in my laptop and various usb drives of assorted sizes
    Last edited by cka; 14 Aug 2017 at 11:38 AM.

2. My 1st SSD was 128GB for OS and it filled up fast with just drivers and such. I replaced that with a 250GB SSD and later bought a 480GB and 800GB SSD when prices went down.

3. I like the idea of one fast drive. I'm not seeing a ton of money or space advantages by buying two drives and I already have a NAS.

4. Anyone looking for a mostly complete PC? Looking to get rid of a Fractal Define R4 case, MSI MPower Max mobo w/4770k and 16GB RAM, 256 GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD.

Only things needed to complete the build would be a PSU and a video card.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 14 Oct 2017 at 07:52 PM.

5. Did you get the new i7, or i5?

Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Anyone looking for a mostly complete PC? Looking to get rid of a Fractal Define R4 case, MSI MPower Max mobo w/4770k and 16GB RAM, 256 GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD.

Only things needed to complete the build would be a PSU and a video card.
    Use it to mine altcoins. I'm, like, 90% serious.

7. Yeah, I know, it's one of those things where I will wish I did it.

Gamevet, I got the 8700k.

8. At this point, the thought process is
    a) There's a big difference between an 8700k and a 4770k by now, a good deal with games at 1440p and a bigger gap with "productivity" software
    b) I don't have NVMe on this board to take advantage of the ultra fast SSDs (although this one is still smoking fast)
    c) I don't see any huge changes on the horizon after this upgrade for games, more to be squeezed out in other areas but I am getting a really big boost in that area by doing this as it is
    d) I have had this for four years and have the itch to upgrade

9. I'm just giving you a hard time. We all have that upgrade itch, and I'm constantly thinking about upgrading the old 2500k system in the livingroom. I ended up spending my money on a 27" 1440p G-Sync display for my office/game room instead.

I'm still good with my 4790k @ 4.7Ghz, and having it paired with DDR3-2133Mhz helps it keep up with my 1080 for 1440p gaming. I'm hoping to get at least a couple more years out of it.

The 8700k with its 6 cores and 12 threads will be great in productivity and it will be quite awhile before you'll ever need to upgrade it. It's really nice CPU!