Page 92 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7888909192939496106 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

Appreciated

2. Does your ISP have a list of supported modems?

3. I get to build myself a new computer.

The last computer I built for myself was almost a decade ago. I went pretty hard at the time with a completely unnecessary $500 EVGA X58 Classified motherboard, a first generation Core i7, a 1,200-watt Mushkin PSU, the works. I've swapped out a couple parts, but the core box is still what I'm using today. I've had it on 24/7 since I put it together way back then and it still never crashes or breaks stride for anything.

I can only hope my next one serves me as well. I don't get to do this very often so I'm pretty stoked on the occasion.

I ordered an EVGA Z370 FTW board, a Core i7-8700k, and an EVGA 850 G3 power supply. The rest of the parts I'm still looking over and deciding on.

It seems crazy to me that I'm going to be going from a first-gen i7 to an eighth-gen one.

I feel like storage is still in an awkward spot. I was looking at the Samsung 970 M2 SSDs and they sound great -- and are certainly super cheap compared to when I bought my 80GB Intel SSD -- but capacity is still just a bit too expensive for me to not have to buy a mechanical HDD for my Steam library, I think. With games commonly running 60-100GB per these days, how can one not? I get the impression that a lot of people have ditched HDDs altogether, but something like a 2TB 970 Evo is still $750. While a 500GB stick + a 4TB WD Black drive is about $360.

Also, I'm contemplating trying to use onboard video for a month or two until the GeForce 11XX cards come out. It will certainly take some excitement out of first putting the box together, but it's tough to pull the trigger on an 10XX card when the next ones are right around the corner.
    Last edited by koda; 09 Aug 2018 at 02:55 AM.

4. Why does it sound like you're being held in your uncle's butt dungeon receiving computer parts via a slot in the wall?

5. Quote Originally Posted by koda View Post
    I feel like storage is still in an awkward spot. I was looking at the Samsung 970 M2 SSDs and they sound great -- and are certainly super cheap compared to when I bought my 80GB Intel SSD -- but capacity is still just a bit too expensive for me to not have to buy a mechanical HDD for my Steam library, I think. With games commonly running 60-100GB per these days, how can one not? I get the impression that a lot of people have ditched HDDs altogether, but something like a 2TB 970 Evo is still $750. While a 500GB stick + a 4TB WD Black drive is about $360.

If you play a lot of games, I still think a SSD + large platter is the way to go. The bigger the drive, the faster it is going to be (all other things equal) because the density. I use a 6 TB WD and put all my games on it. The SSD Is for OS+apps.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    The bigger the drive, the faster it is going to be (all other things equal) because the density.
    I hadn't been considering platter density at all. I may as well go for a 6TB drive, then. Thanks!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    If you play a lot of games, I still think a SSD + large platter is the way to go. The bigger the drive, the faster it is going to be (all other things equal) because the density. I use a 6 TB WD and put all my games on it. The SSD Is for OS+apps.
    The larger the HDD, the more platters it's going to have. I don't have any of my games on an HDD, because the seek times are horrible. Seagate's 6TB drive from 2014 had 6 platters. https://www.extremetech.com/computin...ed-with-helium

You can get a 1TB SSD for less than $200, if you have a MicroCenter in your area. http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...7&myStore=true
    Last edited by gamevet; 10 Aug 2018 at 01:00 AM.

8. I went ahead and ordered a 512GB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 SSD for the boot drive and an older 2TB Micron 1100 SATA SSD for my game drive.

I also ordered a 32GB kit of CAS14 DDR4 3200 TridentZ memory. $425 for that kit alone -- good lord memory prices are through the roof right now. That's obscene.

So all that's really left to order for the box is a case, CPU cooler, fans, and a Windows license. And then a mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

9. Did you pay about $300 for that 2TB SSD? That’s not a bad price.

10. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Did you pay about $300 for that 2TB SSD? That’s not a bad price.
    Yeah, it was $299 on Amazon. 30 seconds after I purchased it the price dropped thirty bucks. So I cancelled and re-ordered it for $270.