Page 54 of 108 FirstFirst ... 405052535455565868 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Sorry, I meant Windows MM.
    Windows Millennium Edition?

2. LOL no.

3. For video editing, what kind of display card is best? Nvidia's GTX line is always marketed for gaming, but do the latest and greatest make a big difference in video editing? Or is it more a matter of a beastly CPU and a shit ton of fast ram?

4. If your video editing software utilizes CUDA, yea, a nice fast GeForce can help. You can see some benchmarks of high-end cards here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/n...-980-review/20

5. If you're using Premier and After FX there is some support for CUDA cores and such, if I remember right though that's mostly for speeding up the computation of effects and such. Also I believe you have to be very specific on the video card you buy, because only certain ones are "certified" with the Adobe stuff and while other cards have the hardware and such the Adobe programs won't push stuff to the GPU on them. (this may have changed in the last year or so) One of the best things you can do for video editing is having screaming fast drives to read the data off of. If it was me, I would probably set up a raid of SSDs to work off of, and max out the ram on the motherboard. I'd also go with a Core i7, and which ever video card you go with make sure it has a lot of vram.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

6. Thanks.

7. So I just picked up a 250gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD.

I currently have a perfectly fine, but small 80gb OCZ Vertex 3. Is there a reason I shouldn't just install the Samsung alongside it, keeping the OS on the OCZ?

Nope

9. Other than the new SSD being superior in every way, I guess not

10. That's exactly the SSD I got a couple months ago, the 840 EVO. I thought about replacing my Force GT with it (very similar to your OCZ I bet) but I ended up keeping my OS on the old one and using the new one as a scratch disk because the write speeds are probably 4x faster. It's AWESOME.