Page 84 of 108 FirstFirst ... 708082838485868898 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. I've used it in the past as well and things were fine.

Also I seem to have finally found the reason why the Intel wireless card was complete shit- in the device manager the default "power management" settings have a check box that says something like "allow windows to turn this device off to save power." Uncheck that and it works like every normal human might expect it to.

2. haha.. that is so annoying.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

3. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    I wouldn't trust a power supply that came with the case, that's where rejected power supplies go to die... get a separate one, and make sure it's at least 80+ bronze certified
    I didn't know that. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Did you mean to say an i7-6700k?

The case power supply should be fine if you're going to use the i7's integrated graphics.

Is that 2 sticks of 4GB RAM?
    I guess I'll be going with 2 sticks. I'm getting the i5, since I'm not going to use the PC for gaming.

4. The i5 would work well with games, actually.
    Last edited by gamevet; 01 Apr 2017 at 09:27 PM.

5. Shit, my HTPC just died, so I am looking to build a new one. Any good suggestion on Mobo/CPU/videocard? Not looking to play a lot of games but maybe time to change this. Don't want to spend over $1000 if that is possible.

6. A good start is the Ryzen 1600. It's a lot of bang for for the buck at $200. Pair it with a good X370 motherboard.

Getting a graphics card is kind of a bitch right now, because of crypto currency mining. I suggest checking out EVGA's B stock GTX 1060s
    Last edited by gamevet; 06 Aug 2017 at 10:41 PM.

7. Man, you'll have to pick up new RAM for that new mobo, too. That's going to eat into that cost total.

Oddly enough, gamevet's advice from 4 months ago still seems true from what I've read. If you're not looking to generate frames your eyes can't perceive, it'll do. From my own research, the GTX1060 is around $200-350 and seems to be the bang-for-your-buck nvidia card of the moment. 1070 is still around $400 and the 1080 is $LOL (apparently thanks to bitcoin?).

---

I'm also looking for a bit of advice on monitors, m'self. My old SyncMaster 2343BW has seen better days and I need something that's bigger and better for graphic design, PC gaming, and console gaming. Basically something that's 27" with good color/contrast, outputs HDMI audio via 1/8" stereo cable, and 1ms response. TrialSword's been telling me I should push for 144Hz refresh, but I'm not sure if my computer would even be able to take advantage of that. I'm not even trying to go over 1080p here.

Here's where I'm thinking, but I could use some brand/feature guidance:
    ASUS: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16824236416
    BenQ: https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-ZOWIE-in.../dp/B01H5KKQUQ

8. The 1070 is the GPU that is LOL. You can find a GTX 1080 for less than what most people are selling the 1070 for, because the 1070 is a better mining card than the 1080 for some odd reason. I was suggesting that 1070 owners, and even RX480 owners take advantage of the steep price hikes on their cards by selling them and getting a free upgrade to a GTX 1080.
    Last edited by gamevet; 06 Aug 2017 at 10:43 PM.

9. Thanks, my search will begin there. Any recommendation on a case? I don't like my old case, might be time to change it up.

10. look here, upon a sig graveyard.