Page 91 of 108 FirstFirst ... 7787899091929395105 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to Build a Desktop

1. By "limited upgrade path", what I mean is that it's possible that the current Z370 boards will not support any other Intel CPUs going forward. AMD has stated that their boards should support more CPUs. So if you were planning on using the same board for more than one chip, this could matter.

Work-related is vague, what I am saying that is that some programs are very fast with the Ryzen 7s, even faster than the Intels. You might want to look up performance with the particular software you are going to use. Although it is possible that a newer version would render this moot.

Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I wanted to throw that out there as an option. It's a cheaper CPU (and comes with a fan even, the 8700K does not) and probably has some cheaper boards.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 09 Jul 2018 at 06:53 PM.

2. OK. I'm probably looking to keep the mobo under $200, something in the $150 range would be ideal.

I'll do some more research and maybe you guys can let me know what's wrong with the mobos I pick.

3. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

OK, this is the mobo unless you guys hate it. I need the DVI-D port, and made an executive decision that there will be no wifi. It's $120 with prime.

And the i7 seems to be the recommended processor for Photoshop, so I'll stick with Intel and my current GPU.

4. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

OK, this is the mobo unless you guys hate it. I need the DVI-D port, and made an executive decision that there will be no wifi. It's $120 with prime.

And the i7 seems to be the recommended processor for Photoshop, so I'll stick with Intel and my current GPU.
    That's a pretty good board, but I would not recommend running your GPU output through the on board video output. I'd turn that off and use a direct feed from your graphics card.

5. Oh of course, you're right. I don't really even need to worry about the ports that much.

6. Anyone have experience keeping a Windows 10 install through a mobo change? I will look into it, just curious if anyone's done it.

7. I had to message Microsoft support and tell them. They handled the license changeover for me over chat. It was pretty easy, really.

my 10 install was a free upgrade from a pirated 7, from when they offered that upgrade, to boot.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

8. Well that's good to hear. I have one pc with an upgrade, and another with a license I bought. I think the plan is to make one good computer out of those and the new mobo/processor.

I received the parts, but I'm still enjoying the anticipation phase. Getting old is weird.

what dsl router do you guys trust now? I think mine is about to die

10. DSL?