Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Pizza

1. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    meanwhile Cicis is packed all the time.
    Cause for $8 its all-you-can-eat. Drunks and Potsmokers go there.

ps: its not that bad. Not great, but for all-you-can-eat ... not bad.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

2. So, what makes the pizza? I say 60% the cheese 30% the dough 10% other shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbitron View Post
    Mellow mushroom owns. IN THE SOUTH
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    its ok. But that is a chain.
    It's one of the best chain out there for sure. I also like that they have certain pies that are only available locally that don't show up on their web site.

I will admit, I ordered a Yoshi special pizza from Mellow Mushroom, and it was badass. It also cost $20 for a personal size, but it was worth it.

Doc: I would simply say good, fresh ingredients. I'm no chef, but I can make a pretty darn good pizza just buying decent cheese and vegetables at the grocery store. The crust sucks though, since I only know how to make pizza dough in large batches so I usually go with premade shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I can't speak for the whole south, but in my neck of the woods good pizza places don't last too long. It's usually the same story, good cook (either from Italy on New York/New Jersey) decides to bring some yummy pizza here. Pizza is yummy! The locals don't like yummy, so only 5 people go there and the rest go do Dominos or Cicis or some shit like that. Place closes in 6 months, meanwhile Cicis is packed all the time.
    depends on the location.

The college town I live in has like 7 or 8 pizza places. 4 are nonchain. 1 up scale Italian, one bar, one authentic hole in the wall, and one middle of road. The town is about 25,000 people. Give or take the freshmen who live in the dorms.

just for the sake of discussion, here are the ones that have online menus

http://www.oldvenice.com/
    http://www.davesdarkhorse.com/index-2.php
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strom...33553733347427
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/CJs-P...76340972403373
    Last edited by Fe 26; 10 Nov 2011 at 10:53 AM.

College towns are great for having good food, if you can put up with the kids. I must be getting old, I think of college chicks as annoying instead of hot now.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    So, what makes the pizza? I say 60% the cheese 30% the dough 10% other shit.
    I'd argue it's like 60% the sauce, actually. The good places always make their own sauce, and there's more that goes into it than just tomatoes.

How it's cooked (and the oven it's cooked in) can be major factors as well.

8. Pizza sauce should contain 3 things: tomato, salt and olive oil.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    depends on the location.

The college town I live in has like 7 or 8 pizza places. 4 are nonchain. 1 up scale Italian, one bar, one authentic hole in the wall, and one middle of road. The town is about 25,000 people. Give or take the freshmen who live in the dorms.
    For comparison's sake, there are more than 20 pizza places in my city that I know of, and not one of them is a chain. Pizza chains exist here, but they're not that popular.

That's not a judgement on quality, because most of the places here are actually pretty bad compared to the rest of NJ, but just a cultural thing. Chain pizza is not that big here.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 10 Nov 2011 at 10:58 AM.

well yes.

My comment was more in regards to idea that good pizza places can't survive in the south.