Page 1 of 44 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop Online Piracy Act

Yield Stop Online Piracy Act

Quote Originally Posted by Joystiq
    SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) is a bill currently in the US Congress, with the stated goal of curtailing copyright infringement, but with the actual effects of setting up a government firewall to block out unwanted sites, and giving the US jurisdiction over foreign sites that have anything to do with infringement of US copyright.

It is repellent.

A Reddit user discovered a document [PDF] hosted by the Global Intellectual IP Center ("Global"), from before the introduction of SOPA, urging Congress to enact such a measure. Among those corporate sponsors is Nintendo, who is demonstrably and justifiably upset about piracy, and committed to taking all the wrong steps to stop it.

Other companies signing off in favor of this anti-"rogue site" legislation, in the interest of protecting their IP online include Sony -- Sony Electronics, Sony Music, and Sony Pictures, separately. EA is also listed, along with Rite Aid (what?) and Zippo (what?)

Okay, so you already know how we feel about this thing. If you feel the same way, you can write or call Congress. November 16 saw concerted "Stop Censorship" efforts (Tumblr black-barred everyone's dashboard in protest, for example), but you can, of course, still contact your representatives. If you're outside of the US, uh, cross your fingers and hope you don't lose all the US-based visitors to your sites.
    Link

This is one of those things where I support the intent but not the implementation, because I don't trust Congress to stop at the stated purpose. I could see TNL being blocked because of Opaque or something similarly stupid.

2. This breaks it all down really well for those of you who don't want to read a lot.

I called and wrote my congressmen. Not a lot else you can do other than spread the word and hope everyone else gives a shit.

Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

3. Yeah, I've been reading a lot about this. The idea is right, warez sites etc, but the scope is far too broad. Like you said, TNL could be targeted if somebody said OMG THIS DUDE TALKED ABOUT PIRATING X GAME.

Tangent: That's not exactly fair to point out Opaque. A lot of us have pirated things at one point or another. Some are just more vocal about it now than others.

4. I do not support this.

There are more important matters Congress needs to focus on than this. They should rename this to the Corporate Lobbyist Money Act.

5. It's the "End of the Internet" act IMO

6. Glad to see TNL talking about this now too, I've been keeping an eye on this, already emailed my Senators and expressed my views, which I feel is something that I should do more of. (I feel people in general should do more of it).

7. Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    There are more important matters Congress needs to focus on than this.
    Yea, like defining pizza as a vegetable.

Congress is worse than useless. But hey, people keep voting the same clowns in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Tangent: That's not exactly fair to point out Opaque. A lot of us have pirated things at one point or another. Some are just more vocal about it now than others.
    My intent wasn't to single him out but to use an obvious example. I sure as hell don't want to discuss him in this thread.

9. It sucks but this will pass. Someone will quack the word "terrorism" and everyone else will fall in line.

I don't think it will get all the way through and become law, but it's better to not assume that and fight it.