Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5789

Thread: "I'm Staring at the Future of Gaming"

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Agreed.

"OMG THE DRAGON IS TALKING TO ME. WTF"
    Wait, what? Doom didn't impress you but a fake talking dragon did?

2. Cool topic. Letsee, games that stood out for me over the years (in no particular order, because I'm lazy)...

After Burner - arcade - This one stands out for me only because it had a cockpit that moved and, as a kid, I had never experienced anything like that before.

Super Mario Brothers 1, 2 & 3 - NES

Sonic the Hedgehog - Genesis

Flashback - Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog - Game Gear

Terminator 2: Judgement Day - arcade - This was graphically impressive for its time and it had a couple of force feedback mounted machine guns for you and a buddy to blast away with. It also benefited from my having had an affinity for all things T2 ever since my uncle took me to the theater to see it, much to my mother's chagrin, when I was just a wee lad. To this day the T2 3-D show at Universal Studios in Orlando is my favorite amusement park attraction.

Mortal Kombat - arcade

Wolfenstein 3D - PC

Daytona USA - arcade

Panzer Dragoon - Saturn

Astal - Saturn

Lunar: The Silver Star - Sega CD - This was my first JRPG and I only played it accidentally. I had rented some other game from Blockbuster, but when I got home and opened the rental case I found that they had given me Lunar instead. Not having any idea what it was I shrugged, popped the disc in... and emerged from my room some days later having finally reached Althena / Luna at the top of the flight of stairs. My love for JRPGs, and specifically ones with a certain style and type of personality, can be traced back to that moment. Too bad they don't seem to make 'em like they used to. I haven't played a JRPG in a long time.

Sewer Shark and Double Switch - Sega CD - Yep. At the time I thought FMV technology was so cool and futuristic, LOL.

Rayman - PlayStation

Jumping Flash demo - PlayStation - Only this and Tomb Raider have ever given me butterflies from experiencing their simulated heights.

Tomb Raider - PlayStation - The scale of everything in this game was so HUGE, it was unlike anything I had ever played before. I amused myself countless times by climbing to the highest point in a level and then jumping off. You knew you had been at a particularly high jumping point when Lara's scream didn't get cut off by either hitting the ground or plunging into a body of water.

Resident Evil - PlayStation - This was probably one of THE seminal gaming experiences for me and it's responsible for getting me into the zombie genre in general. I have some great memories of sitting at home, in the dark, with my buddy who lived upstairs from me, and he'd watch while I played the game, the two of us feeling totally tense the whole time and falling for all the classic horror movie tricks that made us jump (like crows flying through windows). Good times.

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing - Dreamcast

Soul Calibur - Dreamcast - This was SUCH a beautiful looking game and was still putting the PS2's graphics to shame long after the DC's untimely demise. RIP.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica - Dreamcast

StarCraft & Brood War expansion - PC - The StarCraft franchise represents perfection in gaming for me and these were my favorite for the longest time. I had never played anything multiplayer online before and I spent more hours of my life than I care to think about playing Brood War on Battle.net back in the day with my friends.

Super Mario 64 - N64

Mirror's Edge - PS3 - Atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere! ME has a friggin' gorgeous ambient soundtrack (composed by Solar Fields) and an absolutely fantastic European visual design. I've daydreamed about what it would be like to have access to the type of capital that it would require to build a skyscraper as wickedly cool as The Shard, LOL.

Half-Life 2 - PC - HL2, and its subsequent episodes, also represents the best that the pastime has to offer IMO. And, again, atmosphere!

These games made this list, unless I stated otherwise, simply because their graphics and sound blew me away. Many of them were early games that introduced me to new systems and so my opinion of them is probably colored greatly by that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    My heart raced the first time I played Mario 64 and hasn't stopped since, primarily due to weight gain. I also remember being at a friend's house for the PSX's launch, mouth agape as the super high resolution introductory text appeared on the screen. It sounds silly, but I had therefore been spending hundreds of hours reading SNES RPG text; the difference was jarring.
    This is sorta the same thing, but I used to geek out to the hardware logo animation graphics that you'd see on screen when you fired up a console, especially when the console was brand new. My favorites were the Sega CD (model 2), PSX, Dreamcast and Gamecube ones. Oh, and I never owned a Saturn when it was new, but I had friends that did and I remember thinking how rad that spaceship screensaver was that would fly around when you played an audio CD.
    Last edited by Gondolin; 11 Mar 2012 at 09:06 PM.
    ...because without the bitter, baby, the sweet ain't as sweet.

3. I didn't know what systems Half-Life 2, Daytona USA, or Super Mario Brothers came out on. Thanks for the info.

4. Paradigm shifts for me:

Doom
    Tomb Raider on PC
    Soul Calibur on DC

That's it, that's the list.

Meta: a ton of this has to do w/age and the relative maturity of the tech. Imagine someone born in 1910 complaining how, at age 40, he's not seeing the kinds of "jaw-dropping" breakthroughs he's accustomed to.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

5. Mike Tyson's Punch-out !!

6. Playing Halo co-op with a buddy was petty mind blowing at the time.
    I'd played FPS in co-op mode before, like Doom and DN3D, but never on a console, and never with vehicles.