Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: "I'm Staring at the Future of Gaming"

1. Mario 64. The magic of the analog stick for the first time at a Blockbuster video before the system was out.

Nothing will ever touch that.
    Boo, Hiss.

2. Quote Originally Posted by elfneedsfood View Post
    To this day, the most blown away I have ever been by the way a game looked was when I saw Star Fox in motion for the first time. Keep in mind I wasn't into PC gaming at the time, so that shit blew my mind.
    I'm sure this one had a huge impact on a lot of people, but to me it never phased me much, not only because of arcade and PC games, but there were even home ports of Hard Drivin' and a couple 3D flight sims by then and I was just cynical toward it.

I remember being cynical towards Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter too.

x-com

seriously mario 64 blew my little mind but not like zelda did.

Dragon's Lair did too. It was so pretty i didn't play it until years later.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    Dragon's Lair
    Fuck, yeah, I forgot about this. Right on.

mario has always been faster than sonic for me because i played the shit out of it until i could fly through every level. I got in on sonic like five years late and it seemed slow and aimless.
    I mean i can beat ninja gaiden faster than i can complete zone 1 on sonic.

xbox live changed gaming for me radically and permanently.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

6. By the time Silent Hill came out, movies didn't give me nightmares anymore. This fucking game I could not play alone at night.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    Dragon's Lair
    I thought Drangon's Lair was pretty amazing until I actually played it. The amazement quickly faded.

8. I forgot about Mario 64. For shame =(

Another game - Shenmue. Yea it was dorky as shit and pretty bad but the NPCs, schedules, lots of detail, day-night cycle in a 3D world (games like Ultima VII did a lot of this and more in 2D) was really awesome. Likewise, Omikron The Nomad Soul was ugly, awkward, and shitty, but gave me a hint at what open world 3D gaming could be like in the future.

9. SUPER MARIO BROTHERS 2. It was the first video game i ever wanted to play because it looked fun, unlike every other video game before.

After that, it was all "yaaay, videogames" until Final Fantasy IV, which was, "WHAO, TELLAH DIED!" Nothing was a surprise after that.

lol, yoshi. Astal...
    Donk

10. I remember seeing Mario 64 at a store kiosk and being impressed but not blown away. I don't even know how that's possible. Weirdly enough, though, Sonic Adventure was a much bigger deal to me technologically.

I can't remember what I thought when Wolf3D came out, but I remember Doom being from the future.

Jedi Knight was the first game I saw in-person being hardware-accelerated. That was a huge one.