Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us (PS3)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    the same level of set pieces and pacing as the Uncharted series.
    actual gameplay
    I don't believe these two things are allowed to exist in the same statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Quit while you're ahead.
    No, don't say that! That's not at all what I want to hear. My next episode is the last one of season one, I believe. When do things go wrong?
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. That exact episode, actually!

4. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    When do things go wrong?
    umm... the last episode of season one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    I don't believe these two things are allowed to exist in the same statement.
    /yawn

6. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    /yawn
    That's how most people respond to Uncharted 3's gameplay.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

/snore

I loved the first two, can't imagine the third doing something horribly wrong. Well, now that they've patched the aiming issue.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

The aiming issue was overblown imo. I wouldn't have even known about it if I played the game without reading forums.

BUT back on topic, Naughty Dog wants to "change the fucking industry" with The Last of Us.

Also, concept art

10. So they're abandoning the completely generic writing they've been giving their own games?

It sounds like they've just trying to delve further in "videogames that are like movies" as opposed to increasing the interactive portions of the storytelling. The reason average storytelling tends to get praised in videogames is because videogames are not just the story and the player is not just watching the cutscenes and judging the game on that alone. It's about the connection between what the player has control over and what's driving them forward into the next section. Uncharted certainly wouldn't good if it was just the writing that was being graded since it's no more than a generic summer movie forgotten during the same afternoon it was watched. It's good because it emulates those movies which are actually enjoyable and then gives the player control over the action sequences, creating a bond that would otherwise not exist.

If they want to push storytelling in games forward then they need to look to expanding on the ways that people can control conversation flow and choices in cutscenes instead of worrying about the writing in non-interactive cutscenes. Take Mass Effect 2's ability to interrupt and push it even further, allowing every conversation to be interrupted. Worry about what will happen if the player has the ability to alienate all the NPCs. Make the creation of their father-daughter love story bond come out of the decisions that the player makes and not a forced thing that ultimately has nothing to do with anything the player did.

I'm sure The Last of Us will be cinematically interesting, but considering what they mentioned in that link it sounds like they have a Hollywood idea of what pushing forward would be instead of anything to do with the actual medium.