Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IBM Thinkpad T60 not connecting to Wi-fi properly.

1. IBM Thinkpad T60 not connecting to Wi-fi properly.

I got a free IBM Thinkpad a month ago, but I had to remove the old HDD to do a clean install of XP Pro on the system. I flashed the bios with the latest version, updated all of the drivers and got the laptop up and running. The laptop Wi-Fi adapter appears to be functioning properly, but it won't pull an ip from my wireless router. I've put a static ip on the laptop and it appears to be connected to my wireless router, but when I go into my router I only see the MAC of the laptop, but not an ip. The router lists it as an unknown device.

Does anyone know of a fix or settings that might correct this issue?

Its a contractual obligation I have. I hope you understand.

4. Is there a little switch next to a radio antenna looking icon you can switch on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Is there a little switch next to a radio antenna looking icon you can switch on?
    The Wi-Fi is turned. It does see my router and even though it appears to be connected when using a static ip, the router only sees the MAC but does not see the ip of the laptop.

6. Take it to a public hotspot, see if you can connect there. McNugget afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Can you get to the router settings from the laptop? Can you get online? Just because you typed in the static IP doesn't mean it's established a connection. Did the thinkpad connect to the router before the wipe and is the MAC address just in stored memory on the router? What's your router's model?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Can you get to the router settings from the laptop? Can you get online? Just because you typed in the static IP doesn't mean it's established a connection. Did the thinkpad connect to the router before the wipe and is the MAC address just in stored memory on the router? What's your router's model?
    I had to wipe the HDD, because the laptop was used at a financial firm. I did not have the former users passwords and the customer had it in a stack of laptops they were going to throw away, if nobody wanted them. It's a pretty good laptop, with a Centrino Duo and a Radeon X1300.

I can browse the web through the ethernet port of the laptop just fine. If I don't put a static ip (instead of DHCP) for the internal wi-fi adapter, it says I have limited connectivity because the wireless network did not assign an ip. The wireless adapter clearly sees my router and all of the available wireless networks in the neighborhood. I just don't understand why my router refuses to assign it an ip, when I have no problems with the 360, PS3, (2) iphones, a Dell laptop and a PC connecting to it.

The router is a Westell 9100EM, provided by Verizon.
    Last edited by gamevet; 19 Dec 2011 at 08:20 PM.

9. Man, I'm a dumbass. I had the WEP key entered wrong. What's really sad is I checked it out twice and didn't notice that 2 letters were reversed when I wrote them down.