Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ... 911121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: Under the Radar SNES/Genesis Games

1. I was comparing it to the other home versions available at the time, like the NES, TG-16, and SMS. It's also the only FZ game on the Genesis (which is messed up), so it's definitely worth checking out. It's also a lot cheaper than many of the other great imports out there, and it doesn't require a converter or anything to play.

2. PAL version of Super Fantasy Zone? Really? Is the English text really worth the speed difference?

I don't think there will be a speed difference if being played on a 60 hz console. Most Genesis publishers were too lazy to recode the games speed for pal territories.

4. There's no speed difference that I know of. It runs fine on a U.S. machine.

5. Didn't know how that worked. Now I do! Makes perfect sense.
    Last edited by Tain; 24 Dec 2011 at 05:50 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Time for me to chime in!

I'm going to give some Genesis recommendations only, since my SNES library is pretty sparse right now (I'm working on it):

- Scooby-Doo Mystery: If you like graphic adventures like Snatcher and Maniac Mansion, this one is pretty cool.
    - Garfield: Caught in the Act: Neat little platformer with excellent graphics and lots of varied worlds.
    - Midnight Resistance: Contra-style game that's a port of the Data East coin-op. Features big sprites and explosions and a great soundtrack.
    - Rolling Thunder 2 and 3: Two is a port of the arcade game and three is a Genesis exclusive. If you like RT, you'll enjoy these two.
    - Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin: Probably one of the best super hero games of the 16-bit era. Lots of Spidey action with a ton of villains.
    - Super Fantasy Zone: PAL version is in English and region free. One of the less expensive imports, it's classic FZ gameplay with great 16-bit presentation.

There are plenty of others I can't think of right now or have already been mentioned. Be wary though, as games like Herzog Zwei, MUSHA, Pier Solar, and a few others are going to cost an arm and a leg. Mr.Mark over at SegaAge does some quality repros of fan-translated and more expensive games for a great price.

Enjoy your Genesis!
    Thanks for the recommendations Melf! I've added all of those games to my Amazon shopping list now, so I remember to buy them. Scooby Doo Mystery looks like it will be especially friendly to my motion sickness, and I'm a real sucker for cartoony mascot platformers, so the Garfield game looks awesome too!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post

And since you've included the fourth best platform of that generation in the SNES, here are #2-3 as well:

Neo Geo
    PC Engine
    You make a good point Yoshi. For some reason I never took owning a NEO Geo or PC Engine into consideration. It might be worth looking into those, somewhere down the line, if I exhaust my SNES and Genesis options. Right now though, it looks like both systems are a bit expensive on ebay.

It's weird how those systems can rank higher than an SNES when they don't really have that many good games.

Have fun with Fighting Street and Art of Fighting and uh... other bad fighting games?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

Here are some of my favourite semi-obscure Genesis games:

Mega Turrican
    Up there with Gunstar Heroes as one of the best run-n-guns on the system. Fantastic music, great level design, and awesome graphics.

Gauntlet IV
    It contains both a near arcade perfect version of Gauntlet II as well as a "quest mode" that has you level up, explore a large interconnected series of dungeon levels, and buy items.

Bubble and Squeak
    Cute puzzle-platformer.

Starflight
    Great remake of a computer classic. It contains all the complexity of the computer version but is vastly more accessible. If you like Star Control II, you'll like this.

10. Oooooh, Starflight is so darn good!