Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 25353738394041 LastLast

Thread: Under the Radar SNES/Genesis Games

1. I took the advice of somebody in this thread....it was a while back...so I can't remember who said it, and I cut the plastic tabs out of my SNES so I could play the Japanese version of Super Double Dragon, instead of the U.S. one.

I wanted to make sure I did it right, so I went on ebay and found the cheapest Japanese SNES game I could find. I didn't want to spend the big bucks on the "real games" until I was sure it would work.

So, the game I ended up getting was this Super Puyo Puyo game. It was something like $1.25 + $3 shipping....and it came in the mail a few hours ago...and I'm happy to say that the game worked! I'm usually not a big fan of puzzle games, but this turned out to be a lot of fun. I'm actually astonished that this game may have been well worth the 4 bucks I paid for it

2. I will be checking that thread soon myself! Thank you.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

3. Who would suggest such a thing?
    Puyo puyo aka dr robotniks mean bean machine aka...something else on snes ( kirby avalanche?) is a great puzzle game; and i too usually dont care for puzzle games.

I played a bit of my SMS games last night, here are my 2012 impressions:

Sonic 1: I like that it isn't trying to be a Genesis port and instead it does its own thing. It has a blue border around the screen that is a little annoying, and enemies are tiny, probably so they look okay on the Game Gear version. Overall, pretty damn fun.

R-Type: This time when I played I didn't look at it as an arcade port, and instead as its own thing, like Contra on NES, and I liked it a bit more. The graphics are fantastic for the system, although there is a ton of slowdown in spots that I think could have been fixed if the developers had changed a few things to accommodate the system. This would have been the jam if I had played it in '87.

Hang On (on cart!): This is actuall a pretty good port! Good for a few minutes of fun. I couldn't play Safari Hunt since I don't have a gun.

Kenseiden: I've never really played this, it looks badass but I need to figure out what I'm doing. Control is a little stiff in that wonderful Castlevania way.

Sonic Chaos: this is so much better on the SMS it's crazy. I mean, it's the same game as the GG, but you can see much more of the screen and the colors are actually nice and vibrant.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Who would suggest such a thing?
    Puyo puyo aka dr robotniks mean bean machine aka...something else on snes ( kirby avalanche?) is a great puzzle game; and i too usually dont care for puzzle games.
    Was it you that suggested that? I was just too lazy to go back through the thread and see who gave me that advice.

But yeah, I'm really shocked by the fun factor of this game. I bought it, thinking it would just be a "test cart", I'd try it out and then probably resell it or throw it in a drawer somewhere. I can actually see myself getting some good play time out of this though.

On another note, somebody on another message board was nice enough to give me some free SNES games a while back. I never bothered to test out the carts, because it was stuff like Tecmo Super Baseball and Super Caesar's Palace. Well, I plugged in the Tecmo Super Baseball cart today, after I finished playing Puyo Puyo, and it turned out to be Mortal Kombat II. That was a nice surprise! haha. I guess somebody switched out the game chips and forgot about it...

I know who suggested it, but I is not saying.

7. I actually thought it was me! You werent the first to bring it up either!

Goddammit, I'm on my phone, I'm not going back 39 pages and checking.

You win this round, SSJN *shakes fist*

9. lmfao. I tried going back through the 39 pages, and I couldn't find it either. Well, whoever brought it up, it was pretty damn good advice!

10. Mzo Brought it up first, likening the cartridge slot to a vagina. Gohan said it too a few posts after that. Im on my phone too, and it was only a few pages back. Do you do ten posts per page? That's insane to me.