Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Under the Radar SNES/Genesis Games

1. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Anyone who plays old ass systems regularly should look into an RGB to component transcoder. It costs a bit of money, but works on most systems and cost about the same as having one system modded with S Video.
    Got a link to something you'd recommend?

And Mega Turrican for Genesis.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    I see a lot of games that just do alternating frame sprite flickering, but I can't think of any games I've played lately that use mesh transparency.
    Most games use alternate line transparency rather than mesh, so it looks like vertical bars without the effect. For example, the bubbles in Cool Spot, the pipes in Sonic 2, the shadows in like every game, etc. But a lot of games, like Earthworm Jim, just use it in the art to fudge more colors than the system can produce. It's lots and lots of games that use it and I hate how it looks without it. GENS and Fusion have options to emulate this effect, but some other emus don't and look like shit.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 23 Dec 2011 at 02:14 PM.

3. Fuck True Lies. I have the SNES version and it's gutter trash.

No reason to play it when Zombies Ate My Neighbors exists.

4. Also, get a Genesis Model 1 with "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" written on the top circle.

It has waaaaaaaaaay better audio than the other Genny models.

You can get one off eBay for > $20.

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Jurassic Park 2 is pretty understated, too.
    Fuck yeah. Get "The Chaos Continues" for SNES. Great 2-player platformer.

Also:

Joe and Mac
    Joe and Mac 2
    Rock N Roll Racing
    Biker Mice From Mars

6. Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    Also, get a Genesis Model 1 with "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" written on the top circle.

It has waaaaaaaaaay better audio than the other Genny models.

You can get one off eBay for > $20.
    Oh, I wasn't aware there was an audio difference in the Genesis Models. I just thought that Model 3 looked kind of cheap so I passed on that one, and I didn't see a good auction for the Model 1s at the time I was looking. We'll see how this model 2 one works for now though.

7. Was always curious how the transparency effects in Magical Chase and Star Parodia on Duo were handled. They look far better than anything on the system.

The only thing that I remember from True Lies was you could mow down people at urinals. Yeah.

8. Yeah I had a Model 2 for many years and the sound was dog shit.

I thought it was just the Genesis being Genesis until I read this thread:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...d-than-model-2

Specifically, this post:

If you find a Genesis 2 that has a shorter metal plate under the system through the air vents, those are the VA3/VA4 versions with the clean audio. Older Model 2s will also have super-shitty video; it's blocky, pixellated as all hell, blurred, and has the same line noise problem as a Top-Loader NES, but to a lesser extent(not as many vertical lines visible). I did notice something, though: if you take a VA0-VA1.8 Genesis 2 and hook it up to a Sega CD, if you use the sound output from the Sega CD instead of the Genesis, the sound is filtered, though the quality doesn't improve.

Allow me to explain in detail the sound problem: while every Genesis has a YM2612 in different formats, either integrated within one of its chips or as a separate chip, it's not the cause of the nasty audio. As mentioned before, it has to do with other parts of the circuitry. The problem lies within the sound amplifier. For whatever reason, when the Genesis Model 1 got the VA7 motherboard in it, the sound amplifying circuitry Sega used caused the sound quality to drop drastically, to the point where it would distort some of the sound. To make matters worse, it also induced static. Some Genesis 2s made in China actually FURTHER EXACERBATE the problem by changing some things around in the sound circuit that further distorts the sound to the point where some low-pitched sounds are output as squeaks. Here's a rundown on the sound quality plus a general description of the sound amplifying circuitry:

-Genesis Model 1 with High Definition Graphics(motherboard revision VA0-VA6, contain EXT port): these use a discrete YM2612 with a sound amplifier that filters the sound to give it more bass. Sound quality is exceptional.

-Genesis Model 1 without High Definition Graphics(VA6-VA7 motherboard revision): some of these are identical to the Genesis Model 1 with High Definition Graphics, but as mentioned before, VA7 motherboard revisions contain a sound circuit that drastically lowers the quality of the sound output and induces static. The VA7 revision uses a YM2612 integrated within an ASIC on the motherboard.

-Genesis Model 2 with full motherboards(revisions VA0-VA2): VA0, VA1 and VA1.8 Genesis 2s use a YM2612 integrated within an ASIC like the VA7 Genesis Model 1 and use the exact same super-shitty sound circuit found in there. Some VA1.8s, as previously mentioned, tend to distort the sound even more, which are made in China. VA2s have a discrete YM2612, which sounds like a Genesis Model 1 with High Definition Graphics, but with less bass. The big problem with this Genesis 2 is in its tuning of the sound outputs. The YM2612 is too loud compared to the other sound channels: Genesis PSG, Sega CD PCM/CD-DA, and 32X PWM. Not only that, the PSG sound channels are out of tune, with some sound channels being louder or quieter than their supposed to be, which may be as a result of using a different sound amplifier than the Genesis Model 1 with High Defintion Graphics.

-Genesis Model 2 with 3/4 motherboards(VA3 or VA4 revision): These use a revised sound circuit that sounds almost like the High Definition Graphics Genesis Model 1, but with MUCH less bass and a much lower decay rate(you hear the sound channels echoing less). Its quality is the best out of all Genesis 2s. These use a YM2612 integrated in an ASIC.

There's a common trend among the ASIC-based YM2612 in which they have a lower decay rate than the discrete YM2612, and it does actually output slightly clearer sound than the discrete YM2612 when properly amplified.

You'd be better off with a High Definiton Graphics Genesis Model 1, though. Nothing can beat its high-bass sound, except TmEE's Audio Mod circuit for the VA7 Genesis Model 1 and VA0-VA1.8 Genesis 2 for some(I personally prefer high-bass sound).

9. Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    Yeah I had a Model 2 for many years and the sound was dog shit.

I thought it was just the Genesis being Genesis until I read this thread:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...d-than-model-2

Specifically, this post:
    Cool. Thanks for pointing that article out for me. Now I'll know that any drawbacks to the sound might not be the "genesis being the genesis."

Also, I got a response back from the person who sold me the Genesis on Ebay. I told him that I already have some nice people sending me the expansion port cover and AV cables, so he said he will do anything it takes to make it right. He is going to send me two new controllers to make up for the one with the broken 'B' button, and he is going to send me a couple more free games. So, that is pretty cool. People on the internet seem to be very courteous these days.

Quote Originally Posted by JefmcC View Post
    Got a link to something you'd recommend?

And Mega Turrican for Genesis.
    My transcoder is labelled "Atlona," but it goes by many names such as CYM-2100 and the like on ebay. Here is one that appears to be the same thing. The catch on it is that it doesn't have audio, so you will either need to mod it to add audio jacks, or use one of these to get audio out of it. It works very well with component SDTVs, but I have heard that people recently have had to adjust the colors on some of the transcoders. It has RGB pots on the inside for adjusting. If you have an HDTV, do some searching on Sega-16, there are some with HDMI outs that do upscaling, but they vary wildly in quality. You can buy good quality RGB SCART cables here, they are based in Florida so no ridiculous shipping from Europe.

Check out this thread I made on Sega-16 a few years ago about the transcoder for some more info. It's a few years old, so some of the recommendations are outdated, but it still contains a lot of good info. I still use the same transcoder for pretty much everything from 8-bit to 32 bit systems, with the exception of the NES.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.