Page 39 of 129 FirstFirst ... 253537383940414353 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2012: Hai! Dekimashita!

1. 21. BATMAN RETURNS (Lynx)

This is the real reason why I haven't finished any games in the last month or so, this horribly designed piece of crap has been eating my time as I have tried to clear the game and eventually killed my Lynx II screen as I turned the machine off after the staff roll, let's start with what's really wrong, the enemy and stage designs are either incredibly poorly tested or Atari intentionally made the stages so unfair that it would force players to keep playing the 4 stages over and over but they probably didn't take into account how frustrating the game is.....on stages 1 & 3, you can get knocked down over and over as there is no invincibility after getting hit and there are a number of foreground objects that hide explosives left behind by dead enemies, on stages 2 & 4, off screen enemies can easily hit you into a pit of death and then it's back to the beginning for you since you only have 1 life....great design! For a game that was highly lauded in the US gaming mags back in the day, I have to wonder who has really cleared it....for those who want an entirely unfair challenge, here you go! I have to thank the Japanese guy who made a complete FAQ for the game and inspired me to persevere through it...
    Last edited by Shou; 18 Apr 2012 at 12:51 AM.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

2. 9) The Pinball Arcade. Technically you can't "beat" pinball, but I've posted scores I'm happy with on all four tables. Until I decide I'm not happy with them, and beat them more.

James

3. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    9) The Pinball Arcade. Technically you can't "beat" pinball, but I've posted scores I'm happy with on all four tables. Until I decide I'm not happy with them, and beat them more.

James
    Complete Wizard on all four tables IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Shou View Post
    This is the real reason why I haven't finished any games in the last month or so, this horribly designed piece of crap has been eating my time as I have tried to clear the game and eventually killed my Lynx II screen as I turned the machine off after the staff roll, let's start with what's really wrong, the enemy and stage designs are either incredibly poorly tested or Atari intentionally made the stages so unfair that it would force players to keep playing the 4 stages over and over but they probably didn't take into account how frustrating the game is.....on stages 1 & 3, you can get knocked down over and over as there is no invincibility after getting hit and there are a number of foreground objects that hide explosives left behind by dead enemies, on stages 2 & 4, off screen enemies can easily hit you into a pit of death and then it's back to the beginning for you since you only have 1 life....great design! For a game that was highly lauded in the US gaming mags back in the day, I have to wonder who has really cleared it....for those who want an entirely unfair challenge, here you go! I have to thank the Japanese guy who made a complete FAQ for the game and inspired me to persevere through it...
    Wow. I am impressed. I never had the patience to put up with that one anywhere near long enough to beat it. And that was back when it was free when you bought a Lynx II system in 199X.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Wow. I am impressed. I never had the patience to put up with that one anywhere near long enough to beat it. And that was back when it was free when you bought a Lynx II system in 199X.
    It was an absolute struggle even after I realized that it was best to just run away from all of the enemies as much as possible. The earlier stages have HP refills fairly often but once you get to Level 3, it gets extremely difficult as you need to tough it out until halfway through the level before you can get HP back and then the final bosses are a bunch of penguins that shoot an ungodly amount of missiles at you that can knock you down over and over. The final level has falling platforms which means if you don't know the exact way through the level, you absolutely will die from falling into a pit. I really wonder if my Lynx II died because I've taken it to like 3 different countries in my quest to beat this POS and had it plugged it non-stop for awhile. I must have been the only one in the world playing a Lynx on a plane. lol
    Last edited by Shou; 18 Apr 2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

#21 - The Blackwell Legacy (PC)

#22 - Blackwell Unbound (PC)

#23 - Blackwell Convergence (PC)

#24 - Blackwell Deception (PC)

Just played through all of these, one a day. The first three took about two hours to complete but the last around four. They're all pretty well written and look alright. The majority of the puzzles and solutions come from dialogue, doing searches on your computer (or phone book in the flashback one), and just really bugging the shit out of people over and over again. I enjoyed them way more than any Telltale game ever.

It's interesting how the designer Dave Gilbert dude didn't understand how much people playing his game enjoyed the combining notebook clues aspect, to the point where it wasn't even a feature of the third game. That is so weird because it's really the best part and completely underutilized. How do you miss that?

I love how they all have full commentary options, even if I haven't listened to them all yet. I like how he mentions how much of a negative cliché it is to hire your friends as a voice actor, but how his bff Goldfarb is actually a really good voice actor! Protip: he is not. I'd even say the voice acting was one of the weakest aspect of the series down to even the quality of the recordings. I also didn't like how the big talking faces weren't animated in the fourth game.

Also, Rosangela is a really, really stupid name. But the little awkward smile she throws in sometimes after a sentence in the first game really is just so great, too bad they didn't get it right after that.

Oh, and I'm grateful that the game has achievements but the Steam achievement integration is still broken after forever so fuck them for that.
    Last edited by Mzo; 18 Apr 2012 at 09:37 PM.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

#25 - Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)

Made it through all 25 missions. I started off pretty lukewarm to the whole experience but it slowly and gradually won me over. The story and dialogue are so surprisingly great and charming that it just won't let you focus on hating the awkward controls as much as you want to. Then you kind of get used to it and let it go. Sakurai just really knocked it out of the park with this one in terms of making a fantastic game with just so much replayability and character that it's silly. I can see myself getting lost in the single player/multi player weapons grind for months.
    Last edited by Mzo; 20 Apr 2012 at 08:38 AM.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

8. #10.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Simon's Quest.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	65477

Fuck the haters; this game is great. The cryptic stuff was a problem... 20 years ago, but today it's a breeze to figure out where to go. The last boss sucked, but the game was great overall. I'd LOVE for the series to revisit this style. Hell, remake this one in HD 2D graphics and I'll bite.

Now to find the other NES Castlevania games! I want to beat them all on real hardware too.

9. Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS)

It took long enough, but this is that must-have game that justifies the purchase of a 3DS. I loved the use of a cruise ship as the backdrop--it reminded me a lot of the train in the early part of RE0. In fact, I loved everything but the scanning mechanism. Not that it was terrible, but it could have been cut entirely and nobody would miss it.

Hector: Badge of Carnage (iOS)

I don't get the Telltale hate. Between this nifty trilogy and Strong Bad, they've more than justified their existence. Irreverent, dirty, and hilarious. I literally laughed out loud several times (yes, literally). Strangely enough, Ep. 1 has retina support, while Eps. 2 & 3 are noticeably lower res. No matter, it's still a good time to be had.

9mm (iOS)

You know, I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would. The controls suck about as bad as you would expect for a shooter on a touch device, but the generous application of bullet time makes it bearable. In the end, I actually had a good time. I'd recommend picking it up during one of Gameloft's (many) sales, but not so much at full price.

Mass Effect 2

WII
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Deadly Creatures

3DS
    Pushmo
    Mutant Mudds
    Resident Evil: Revelations

DS
    Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
    Again
    The Legendary Starfy
    999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

iOS
    Alphadia
    Hector: Badge of Carnage
    9mm

PSV
    Touch My Katamari

GBA
    WarioWare, Inc: Mega Microgames!

GB/GBC
    Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

GEN
    Phantasy Star II
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

10. 37. Lumines: Electronic Symphony

Went through Voyage mode several times. Played Stopwatch mode for a couple days, too. Favourite Lumines. I say that having only played the first one (I skipped Lumines II and Supernova, I heard II was so-so, but I didn't hear anything about Supernova). Pretty much loved it. Great pick-up-and-play gameplay and I'm way better at planning to stack blocks than I was when I first played the original...7 years ago (Wow, that long?).

38. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Beaten a bunch of times. Played with all the new characters. Kind of overdid it on Vanilla, so this wasn't as exciting. Beat the game with all the new characters and a few old ones to see if the ending's changed. Did 8/10 missions with every character in the game and called it a wrap.