Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new RAM = no post

1. new RAM = no post

Santa brought me a RAM upgrade from 4GB to 8GB. I put it in my PC and it won't post. No signal goes to the monitor at all. I tried booting with the full 8GB, each stick individually, and even tried no sticks and still nothing. I don't have the old RAM to test because I used it to build my parents a computer while I was there, knowing I was getting the new RAM kit. I used the motherboard jumpers to clear CMOS and that didn't do anything either.

Ideas? Is my MB hosed?

2. is everything still hooked up tightly? is there a LED or something that lights up to show that the board gets power?

3. I didn't touch anything else in the computer other than the RAM, and it had been working flawlessly for months. The board power led lights and all the fans spin up. There's no noise from the HD though, or any indication that it is going through the boot process.

4. I once swapped RAM and had to remove a mb power cable to plug them in and comletely forgot I unplugged it anf proceeded to lose my shit about how I wasn't posting.

Double check all power cables.

5. I snugged every cable, still nothing. I'm going to bring the RAM to work tomorrow and see if a friend will try it in their computer. I only have one that uses DDR3. With no sticks it should still show an error or something on screen, right?

6. You won't get any video out of it without RAM. The most you'll get is beeps and maybe an LED lighting up.

7. Yeah if your RAM was bad you should get a loud and constant beep.

If you're not getting that the problem is probably elsewhere. Have you reset all the hardware? Other than the CPU you should pull out and reseat everything just to play it safe. If that fails my guess is motherboard.

8. Your board is probably toast. The voltages on the new memory might have fried it up good, or you might not have grounded yourself properly before you put your meathooks under the hood.

Or the memory isn't on the motherboard manufacturer's qualified vendor list. This is rare though.

Mobos aren't as delicate as people make them out to be, I roll around in that shit dropping screwdrivers and shit everywhere, never use any sort of grounding except touching the metal base before I start and I've never broken one.

What does your motherboard manual say about RAM? Some are really weird about which slots you need to put it in and some only accept them in tandem and stuck in every other socket.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Mobos aren't as delicate as people make them out to be, I roll around in that shit dropping screwdrivers and shit everywhere, never use any sort of grounding except touching the metal base before I start and I've never broken one.
    It's true, this is a lot of carry over fear from the 80s, static casualties are very rare.

You should be getting some kind of beep codes or, on some newer boards, an LED code on the board itself. This will help a great deal in diagnosing the issue.