Thread: Need some help identifying an old movie

1. Need some help identifying an old movie

Ok, this is a long shot but I figured someone here may be able to point me in the right direction. I was speaking to a woman tonight and she brought up a movie from what she believes to be the 40s. She didn't know or remember any of the actors but she had plot details. It was a movie where a writer/reporter was speaking with a judge and they got to talking about the court system being broken. The judge claimed it was fine so the writer opened the newspaper, found a murder report, and then told the judge he could get himself put on trial for the murder and not get convicted of it. He then went on to make all the evidence point to him and took pictures of himself planting the evidence with the original newspaper report on the murder in photos. As he was put on trial and about to be convicted, he released his photos of his planting of the evidence. The twist to the ending was that he actually did commit the murder and now had gotten away with it because he couldn't be tried twice for the same crime.

Sorry that the info isn't overly detailed but it was all she could remember. My description was a bit long winded but I wanted to give as much detail as I had so I might actually be able to find this movie title. I know the chances of scoring the title are slim to none but I figured if anyone might be able to help it would be TNL.

2. Well, I'm not familiar with the movie, but I would venture to guess it was from the 50s/early 60s as that was a popular time for courtroom dramas.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Good to know, thanks.

It sounds kinda awesome. If you figure it out please report back.

Kramer vs. Kramer.

I've been doing some random googling and I can't find what it is, I totally want to watch it now. I wonder if the title involves double jeopardy.

edit: probably not if that is the twist
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

6. This is what I got when I googled "movie reporter frames judge": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049006/.

7. I actually found it around 10:30 this morning and Flux did too since he has the right title. It is called Beyond a Reasonable Doubt and it was directed by Fritz Lang. Her details weren't perfect but I was able to find it after I did some digging. Thanks for the help guys.

8. Wow, she was pretty off on her description then.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. I like the wrong synopsis much better. That should be a movie if it isn't already.

I'd watch it.