Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: The Binding of Isaac

That's not materially better than a keyboard. All I recall is starting it up, realizing it didn't recognize my Saturn pad, and turning it off forever.

2. If a game natively supports a 360 pad, chances are it uses XInput and you can use controller emulator software so that the game thinks what you're using is a 360 pad. I use a Saturn USB pad for Super Meat Boy and it works very nicely.

These emulators are neat because once you've set it up for a particular controller, you can copy the files into other XInput games (most modern stuff) and it'll recognize the controller the same way.

3. They patched in directinput support too, IIRC.

I'm going to move this discussion to the SMB thread, since we're now way off topic.

5. I have buttfucked this game into oblivion. 100+ hours and I'm only missing the Dark Boy achievement. If you like idea of a hardcore Zelda:LttP with unlockable items, multiple characters, a fairly steep difficulty curve and an endless amount of configurations for your character every time you play, then just get it and love it.

The music and art are pretty neat too. Can't handle simple WASD and arrow key controls? Don't be a goddamned pussy. Spend two minutes configuring joy2key or play it with the keyboard and stop being a blubbery mangina.

This message paid for by the elect trialsword for president campaign

6. http://indiegames.com/2012/01/Interv...More.html#more

Really good interview with all sorts of info. It's in Flash because they expected it to be a fun side-project reaching maybe a few thousand people at most, not 450,000 and counting.

I don't really get why people find joy2key so annoying, honestly. Open folder, click on joy2key file, then run game in Steam. Ta-dah! Admitted, those 5 extra seconds are a horrible burden no gamer should be forced to bear, but in the end it seemed to work out ok.

James

7. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I don't really get why people find joy2key so annoying, honestly.
    I don't get why people still program games using a horrible piece of shit, honestly.

8. This game is the truth. I have completely neglected my Battlefield 3 duties because of this game (sorry, Destro). It is soooo good. Yes, it's unfortunate that it was written in Flash, but it's not like Edmund had a choice. His programming partner, Tommy, was busy with another project, and the guy he got to program this game (Florian) primarily uses Flash. The scope of the project was small enough that it was easier and cheaper to write the game in Flash than to build an engine from the ground up.

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    That looks good! XBLA port, please.
    I doubt it will happen. Team Meat probably burnt their bridge with Microsoft after blasting them in their postmortem (see #4 and 5 of What Went Wrong) for what happened during Super Meat Boy's final months of development and launch. Even if that wasn't the case, the game's controversial themes would probably dissuade Microsoft from adding the title to its XBLA library. Binding of Isaac doesn't even have a ESRB rating.
    R.I.P. Paragon Studios

9. What they said there really wasn't that bad, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone, somewhere couldn't put on big boy pants and make some financially beneficial amends. Everything they said seemed pretty honest and legitimate.

10. JoyToKey does the job pretty well in most cases, but it's a pretty messy solution when you have multiple games/controllers to use it with. Also throws 1-2 frames of lag into the mix (although less so with recent versions and the right settings).

Flash is so bad, though. Stuttery windowed-mode bullshit. I'd never choose to use it.