Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: The Binding of Isaac

1. I'm a huge roguelike fan, so any games that even have roguelike elements (roguelike elements being randomized procedural content) I always give a shot.

Love this game, had it since its release, unlocked all unlockables and achievements. Love the art direction and music. It's really hard to catagorize this game. Twin-stick shooter-roguelike-Zelda homage is the best I can do.

Luck factors into this game even moreso than roguelikes, as the collectables and power-ups that you get (and don't get) can make the difference in the game being everything from a nearly insurmountable obstacle, to your character being an unstoppable juggernaut.

I really wish it was ported to a non-flash platform. Flash has always felt sluggish to me, and in some sections of the game, the framerate bogs down to the point where it feels like it's being played in molasses.

2. This game doesn't look anything Like Rogue.

3. If a game has random stuff and permadeath people love to call it a roguelike. But yeah, this game is very much not in the same genre as Rogue.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    If a game has random stuff and permadeath people love to call it a roguelike. But yeah, this game is very much not in the same genre as Rogue.
    Most definitely, which is why I specified roguelike *elements* at the beginning of my post. Permadeath and procedural content are gameplay elements that were first realized in the original Rogue. If this is a semantics thing, people in the community call games like this "roguelike-likes", which is about as cumbersome to say as "Final-Fantasy-ten-two", so I just typed roguelike for simplicity's sake. Anyone who views screenshots and gameplay footage can certainly see that besides the above mentioned elements, it's obviously nothing like Rogue.

If you google the game, you'll see the roguelike term pop up in many of the articles, which includes a roguelike developers' blog/forum. Edmund McMillen, the game's creator used "roguelike" as one of the terms describing his game during an interview on the Roguelike Radio podcast which can be heard here. (it's actually a good interview, where he goes into the reasoning behind the religious imagery in the game) He specifically mentions roguelike variants as being an inspiration for many facets of the game. Classic games like Rogue, and their derivatives are now called "traditional roguelikes" in the community, like the recently released Dungeons of Dredmor.

I do agree that the term is starting to become muddied and nebulous, the same way that many people call any game where the player's character gains levels and micromanages abilities/items/equipment a "RPG".

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    If a game has random stuff and permadeath people love to call it a roguelike. But yeah, this game is very much not in the same genre as Rogue.
    Ugh. Shut up. Kill yourself. Etc.

6. Quote Originally Posted by DirtySouth
    I do agree that the term is starting to become muddied and nebulous, the same way that many people call any game where the player's character gains levels and micromanages abilities/items/equipment a "RPG".
    I've definitely been an obnoxious prick when it comes to that one, too!

7. People who complain about people who say "roguelike" are so much worse than people who get it wrong in the first place

8. if clarity reaaaally bugs you, i guess

9. The reason the term "roguelike" was coined was for the sake of clarity. The 'like' means having similar qualities or characteristics. It doesn't mean 'EXACTLY LIKE' it just means 'LIKE'.

It's perfectly clear you're just a fucking retard.