Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to Get A Podcast Microphone

1. Sonic Looking to Get A Podcast Microphone

I want to be able to participate in TNL's podcasts and eventually hope to start up one for Sega-16. The thing is, I've never been involved in one before. Questions:

• What kind of microphone should I get? I don't have a lot of money for one now, and I can spend around $50. Is that enough for a decent one? I'd also like to use it for Sega-16's video review series.
    • What programs do I need? I figure Skype and Audacity are musts, but do I need anything else?

I figure I'll learn the logistics of a podcast when Nick or the TNL crew have me on eventually, so I just need to know what equipment I need.

Wait until you have $100.

Really.

3. I was kind of thinking the same thing, after looking at them on Amazon. All the good ones are $100+.

Any recommendations?

4. I'm not sure if this is the exact model, but I have one of those Samson USB condenser mics:

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-CO1U-US.../dp/B000AP1RE8

They're good. I've used it before for a radio show.

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I was kind of thinking the same thing, after looking at them on Amazon. All the good ones are $100+.Any recommendations?
    Get at me via email or PM or I will forget. I use a Neumann TLM 103 if you wanna roll like a baller.

6. We use Audio Technica AT2020s for our podcast. Looks like the USB version is quite a bit pricer, assuming that's what you want.

Cheaper to get the USB mic than it is to buy a USB interface with phantom power and the XLR mic.

Would there be a point where a really nice mic is bottlenecked by not having a dedicated sound card?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

9. I have the Samson USB mic that jyoung linked. It's perfect for the podcast. Unless I'm mistaken, USB mics don't depend on having a good sound card.

We use Skype and Audacity. If you're only doing a solo recording, you don't even need Skype.

Record each particpant in a separate sound file and have something like MP3 Skype recorder recording the group as a back-up option.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I have the Samson USB mic that jyoung linked.
    I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's perfect for the podcast.
    well...