Page 1 of 21 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh, Those Wacky Fundies! Pink Ribbon Edition

1. Oh, Those Wacky Fundies! Pink Ribbon Edition

I've never liked the Pink Ribbon Brigade, or Komen for the Cure, or whatever. All that pink crap cluttering up shelves, and that stupid pink ribbon, and the specific focus on one particular variety of cancer at the expense of all others, has always gotten on my nerves. I generally roll my eyes and move on, although somehow my favorite knife is a pink-handled one whose purchase probably benefited them in some way, with maybe a whole nickel's worth of its purchase price going to cancer research.

Up until now I only had a general feeling they were full of shit, but today has been comedy gold. Turns out they let a crazy person in to be their public policy VP, and she's rabidly anti-abortion. So, goodby funding for Planned Parenthood's screening for breast cancer, goodbye stem cell research, and hello to the giant backlash. Plus an epic mis-handling of Twitter by a brain-dead self-righteous loony, although it's only a re-tweet rather than her specifically saying it.

So that was entertaining.

Honestly, I'm unsure if Handel is pure fundie or if she's just rabidly anti-abortion, but she is from Georgia so it's not a huge leap in logic to believe her cross is screwed on too tight. No matter which it is, though, the pink ribboners gave in to the crazy and it's all comedy from here.

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	karen-handel-MAIN.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	64430  
    Last edited by James; 03 Feb 2012 at 11:21 AM.

2. Cancer and abortion? Those are hardly laughing matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

3. Fuck the Komen Foundation for its decision.

4. Apparently, the Komen Foundation was supporting Planned Parenthood because of their mammography efforts. And they're still supporting some Planned Parenthood chapters that perform mammograms on-site in underserved regions.

Oh the fucking nerve.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

5. They can choose to support whoever they want. Same goes for me. My donations will be rerouted to Planned Parenthood. I don't care about breast cancer.

6. Rerouted? So you were giving to the Komen Foundation all this time? You're a good man.

7. I give indirectly by funding people who are in the races. I still don't know why you choose to be an asshole about it, though.

8. It's not something I choose, it's just kind of how I'm wired. I stopped trying to change it a long time ago.

I'd still go for funding breast cancer research over subsidizing someone else's sexual irresponsibility. But to each their own, I suppose.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    subsidizing someone else's sexual irresponsibility
    And this is why you're a brainwashed idiot because you also seem to believe the bullshit that all planned parenthood is is an abortion house.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    And this is why you're a brainwashed idiot because you also seem to believe the bullshit that all planned parenthood is is an abortion house.
    I could more easily take you seriously if you could make it through a single post with resorting to personal attacks. Obviously I know that Planned Parenthood offers services aside from abortion. I pointed it out in the fourth post in this thread. I also know that persons of limited means can go there and arrange for an abortion at reduced cost. And I can think of better uses for the money I set aside for charity.