Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 22323435363738 LastLast

Thread: Broken Age (formerly Double Fine Adventure) (Finally complete!)

1. Well technically it is a closed beta for backers. The Act 1 release isn't until the 28th. But for some reason the internet flipped their shot that Double Fine requested a review embargo so they just let people review the beta.

2. I'm not really a big fan of point and click adventures, but I gave this some backing because of Tim Schafer - and I'm glad I did. The voice acting is phenomenal and the writing is hilarious. I fucking lost it "Commander Sweetie" - it's such a cute bit, and so funny because of how it's executed.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Reviews for this seem to be overwhelmingly positive in the press. The general consensus is that it's wonderful but probably too easy. And the second half is supposed to be harder, so maybe that's not such a problem in the end.
    Let's be honest - the real problem is that anything Tim Schafer touches gets a pass by critics because Tim Schafer and critics who fancy that games are "art" - meaning that they should be ashamed of being games in the first place and all gamey parts can be excused for the sake of story.

whereas if games were really being scrutinized as art, such critics would, I dunno, actually take into account the inherent strengths of the medium, rather than find the 'game' part of videogames to be the problem with videogames

That's not to say that Tim Schafer isn't good at what he does. He's a great writer and world builder. Brutal Legend & Psychonauts prove that. Yet those also prove that his games tend to be terrible at being games. My curiosity with Broken Age starts and stops with the writing, and I think the PC-style point-and-click adventures are the best place for Schafer. They tend to put story and humor above any all things gamey, which is what he's best at. However I won't for one second take any review of the game seriously - they already had their minds made up that this would be brilliant before it even came out.
    Last edited by Hero; 18 Jan 2014 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

4. The problem with the Broken Age reviews isn't that the game is art and gets a free pass, it's that they're happening at all. It's a 6-8 hour game that only half is available yet. It's too soon to say how good it is. I mean, I really love what I've seen so far, despite being easy and the controls being thoroughly iPad-ified. I wouldn't assign it a score, though.

James

5. If something is out, it can and should be critiqued. This is out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

6. Each Hobbit movie has gotten reviews, it's fair game. Don't people also review TV shows?

7. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    If something is out, it can and should be critiqued. This is out.
    Forever this.

Also: if you're asking for money, it's no longer 'unfinished' - they feel confident enough in selling you half the game at the full price now, so criticism shouldn't be a no-no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Each Hobbit movie has gotten reviews, it's fair game. Don't people also review TV shows?
    Probably.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    Forever this.

Also: if you're asking for money, it's no longer 'unfinished' - they feel confident enough in selling you half the game at the full price now, so criticism shouldn't be a no-no.
    But the decision that they had to review it NOW during the beta period and not after the game became available to the public is pretty questionable. They're going to sit there and detail the bugs in a private beta without ever pointing out in the review that they're playing pre-release beta code.

10. Why does a 3 hour long single player adventure game need a beta?